JAPANESE GUNTO TASSELS

I just returned from Japan. An acquaintence started collecting tassels because he could not collect swords over there (too much hassle). For the past ten years, he would go out to flea markets and pick these up. Many people have no idea what they are because they are unfamiliar with swords and tassels. some people used them as decorations or decorative ties for wrapping.

The most popular are the general tassels because they are so colorful. After the war, all the sword shops went out of business, and these items were plentiful and cheap. You can sometimes find these at flea markets because the Baby Boomers there have no idea what they are. You can pick them up for around $10. My acquaintence gave me a general's tassel as a gift. It sure looks nice on my NCO sword!

KATANAKO

PS I see that the moderator on this site did not appreciate my sense of humor about my "froggie" katana stand!

post-560-14196836104755_thumb.jpg

Henry (sorry, but you are going to have to sign all posts just like everyone else)

Enjoyed the froggy stand thread, just moved it to the Izakaya as that is for more social stuff, and I felt it served better there. Hasn't gone anywhere, it's still there :)

Great tassel collection! Worth some decent $$$'s

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..