Re-polishing chip in the monouchi?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on how much hastle & cost would be involved in repairing/reshaping the sword to remove the chip in the ha pictured below. I understand it is a repairable non-fatal flaw as the ding does not exceed the hamon, but would it require a full repolish of the whole length of the blade to remove?

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/6571/p1000224w.jpg

I am UK-based, so that somewhat reduces my access to restoration services.

Cheers.

In general, this would require a repolish, however, there is an outside chance that a highly skilled polisher may be able to do something with this without a complete repolish. You would have to have it evaluated by such a polisher to find out with certaintly. I do not think you will find such a polisher outside of Japan. Personally, I would live with it.

In case you have had this sword for a short time only, why don't you give it some time and see how you feel about the small chip later. If you would have to have it completely re-polished, the blade would loose some precious kawagane and you would loose a lot of precious money... I would personally live with it, not such a big deal.

The polish seems to be in a good shape, and the workmanship on the Shinto is clearly visible. Actually I find it hard to believe that the polish would date back to WWII or earlier times. Also I do not see why the polisher would have left that small hakobore unrepaired. Thus I wonder how the blade has received battle damage in recent times?

Veli

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..