Polisher's marks

Sabotage

Not sure what the proper name is for the barcode-like marks a polisher leaves under the habiki, but I was wondering if there's any references out there to "read" them. Someone polished one of my blades, likely during/pre-WWII and I'm just sort of curious about it. If there's a post on here about it, could someone point me in the right direction? I've looked but I could just be missing it. Thanks!

Hi Melissa,

here is a set of 7 nagashi on a WWII blade by Yamagami Munetoshi of Niigata...this is a RJT blade (star stamp). It also has 6 nagashi on the mune at the kissaki. I have another by him that has 6 nagashi at the machi and 6 at the kissaki mune...I have seen his brother Akihisa with 8 nagashi. This suggests that they used a lot of different polishers over the war years.

These smiths were part of a group of 46 swordsmiths who were an association called "Nihon Tobu Tanren Tokogyo Kumiai" which covered the prefectures from Tokyo to Aomori in the north. No doubt their blades were polished by both Hon'ami and Fujishiro trained polishers. Maybe your WWII blade was of this group?

Regards,

post-787-14196833791164_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies. The sword itself is actually from the late 1600s, but I'm guessing the last time it was polished was WWII; grandpa brought it back from Iwo Jima and I know for a fact he never had it polished. Just one of those idle curiosity things on my part.

Hi,

An other different togishi mei on a showato. I don't know which togishi it is........

006py.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I believe this is not a signature, but a representation of wood grain or something else. I once saw a beautiful imitation of mokume-style wood grain on a Naotane wakizashi.

Regards,

BaZZa.

here is the pic.

Sorry butyou have to open it.

Maurice

Maurice,

Very nice. I believe this is the first time I have seen a polisher's signature imbedded within nagashi. Otherwise I think all of those I've seen (very few, actually) have been the signature on a plain surface.

Bestests,

BaZZa.

post-3310-14196834853463_thumb.jpg

Hi Bazza

Following up on your comment, "Otherwise I think all of those I've seen (very few, actually) have been the signature on a plain surface." I thought at some time I had seen a mei on one of my swords.

And yes there it was! It is on the opposite side to the nagashi, and yes on a plain surface.

Tried as best I could to get a decent image (scanner was a no no) Is this one a polishers Mei?

Denis

Thanks George

I looked at the mei and wondered if the enclosure would be for 2 characters, but for the life of me I can't see it clearly, it might turn out to be when offered choices of kanji it could be seen to be there.

Denis.

Guys

Just a stab in the dark here, in 2007 we had a visit from Abe Kazunori, a sword polisher of some fame.

a. Is the mei definitely 'Kazunori'?

b. Are there any examples of his signing amongst members?

Denis.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..