Weekend pickup

Gents,

Last weekend I was doing some highbanking for gold in Western Carolina. I took a break from the shovel and hit the antique auction. Wondering if anyone has any ideas on these translations for the tsuba and nakago. Sword has a company grade tassel on it, wavy hamon and is beefy compared to few others I have handled. Thanks for looking.

Semper Fi,

Bob

post-2524-14196830574956_thumb.jpg

post-2524-14196830583372_thumb.jpg

post-2524-14196830595545_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. I really enjoy the board and learning aspects of this hobby from seasoned pros. Cleaned and oiled this sword up, it looks to be mokume in places but hard to tell due to all the fingerprints and lack of polish and me being a novice. No arsenal stamp. Black laquered saya, copper maple leaf menki , non-gunto fuchi, kashira, Blade has that older metallic color vice shiny under the habaki as referanced to older Nihonto in some books. I'll have to bring it to a show to have you guys take a look someday.

Questions:

- Does the chippy style Mei belong only in the Showa era? Would it be found in earlier works also?

- What is the proper kizu term for a small, smooth, black spot in the jigane? Is it a bit of carbon?

Semper Fi,

Bob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..