Tsuba on Kanetane sword.

Dr Fox

Hi, Denis

I think the pattern represented in gin-zōgan (銀象嵌) is called shippō tsunagi (七宝繋) and was a popular textile pattern in Edo period. Shippō tsunagi has something to do with “the seven treasures of Bhuddism” (but the relation is still unclear to me). The pattern was also used as kamon (family crest); see the attached image.

Bye, Mauro

post-3440-1419683021264_thumb.jpg

Mauro

You pointed me in the right direction and all is revealed. In the explanation below, the reference to 'metalwork' and 'symbol of good fortune' will tie in nicely with the tsuba.

Shippo Tsunagi has been used by courtiers since Heian era (running from 794 to 1185). "Seven Treasures" refers to a repetitious background design utilized by Japanese artists and craftsmen. The pattern was filled in with flowers and printed on pottery and lacquer work, used in textiles on kimono, designs for metal work and porcelain. It is characterized by interlacing circles and is one of the most auspicious patterns to stitch Sashiko.

Shippo Tsunagi is characterized by interlacing circles, which are the same sizes, and the circles are spread out unlimitedly to all the directions. For this reason, this pattern is considered to be a symbol of good fortune.

Denis.

Happy of being of some help. I’ve gathered some other pieces of information: the kamon (家紋) was used by Takaoka clan (高岡氏)and Takahashi clan (高橋氏), which ruled over Nobeoka Domain (延岡藩). Have a look at this very interesting link: http://www.Japanese-castle-explorer.com/castle_profile.html?name=Nobeoka

Bye, Mauro

That's as close as one could get!

The Takahashi clan pre dates 716, and have a recorded history, in fact some of the oldest records found deals with this clan.

Now here's a thing, examining the tsuba to view the centre of the kamon, it is evident that the very centre has been slighted with what looks like a chisel type tool, so the detail (if there was any) cannot now be seen, strange!

Again Mauro thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Cheers Denis.

• 1 year later...

Nice one David

Yes seen but only because of the previous info supplied, it is so subtle as to pass un noticed by an amateur, even the outer circle can be imagined. I like that as a study example.

Any gleanings of where and when to my tsuba?

And thanks for your illustrated reply, appreciated.

Denis.

Hi Denis,

I was aware of the shippo design before this topic. The term shippo (七寶) is referring to the seven treasures that adorned the western paradise of Amida Nyorai in Pure Land Buddhism. The two major sects of Pure Land Buddhism in Japan are the Jodo Shu and Jodo Shin Shu there are others. I sold two iron sukashi tsuba in Nov-Dec of last year on NMB with this design. Both of these were made in the early to middle Edo Period. This was part of a quick holiday sale to purchase a Higo tsuba. The owners are on NMB so I hope they can post some of my photographs or their own of these tsuba. One was really simple and plain the other not so much. My tsuba I posted a photo of above dates to the early Edo Period made likely in Hizen Province this was the judgement of the store I purchased it from in Tokyo. The NBTHK Tokubetsu Kicho paper attached to my tsuba does not discuss age. Your tsuba I would date a little bit later likely mid Edo Period. I hope you find the information helpful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..