opinions as to age and school?

Jiro49

Ahh, listen to Jean. His judgement far outweighs mine on swords.

Thanks Jean, I was trying to figure out what school uses suriage nakago :glee:

A suriage is just a term meaning shortened nakago. It was usually done by the owner long after he had possessed the blade, not by the smith.

Andrew,

I'd rather say suriage by a smith (generally not the one who forged the sword), I don't see (in general) a samuraï "suriageing" a sword :D and not necessarily a long time after getting it (I don't say after the sword was forged) :D

Hi Matt, There are differing opinions on whether one can even ID a blade from pics and this is kantei from hi-rez pics of good swords in polish. I feel you can at least get a feel of the school and era and some have ID'd the smith. Very good pics and very good eyes in those cases. The pics of your sword are hard to make out the characteristics that differentiate one sword from another. Polish too is old and worn. I wouldn't count on a good result. For instance there is no way to attribute or date a nakago that has been removed, it just isn't there. John

Nie deki, hakkikake boshi, otherwise the kitae is not visible which is an handicap, as was saying John, very difficult to kantei a sword on pictures, unless ubu and signed or showing all the characteristics of a smith/school.

Andrew,

I'd rather say suriage by a smith (generally not the one who forged the sword), I don't see (in general) a samuraï "suriageing" a sword :D and not necessarily a long time after getting it (I don't say after the sword was forged) :D

That was what I was trying to say, but it is still early over here in states. I really should start having my coffee before I check the messageboard. :lol:

1.)Smith makes katana

2.)Samurai breaks it/ is too small for it

3.)Different smith makes it into a nice wakizashi for the samurai

Something along the lines of that. :D

Jean and Chris,

I think I can understand your thinking regarding Yamato. the thing which is confusing me at present is the long lines of what might be regarded as Ara nie sitting bang between the hamon and shinogi. I am not sure if they appear to standout that much because the rest of the polish is poor or they really are that bright and clear. Either way they look unusual and unlike any Yamato pieces I have seen (the nie is too course)

Also I can understands Jeans point about being O-suriage assuming the bottom hole was the original but isnt it also possible that the middle, smaller hole was the original and the lowe one added at the same time as the top (it is the same size) as an added fixing?

Often times the nie will follow the masame in this way but it is indeed over the top on this blade and shows, in my opinion, second class workmanship. That is why I pointed to later Yamato...Hard to say from the photos if it is in fact o-suriage, or much else for that matter. That is why I suggested to the OP to start with Yamato. Assuming he has the blade at hand, he can check it out himself and see if it fits in ways that we can not....

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..