Tanto a friend is willing to trade to me, Good deal?

tokashikibob

Some questions to help make a judgement:

1) what kind of kizu, and how large?

2) is there a habaki?

3) are there any other fittings / shirasaya present?

4) can you provide any other photos showing the whole blade and/or any other parts present?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this tanto Alex. Habaki is silver over copper but damaged. extreme tip of blade is gone, There are 6 kizu, none in the hamon and the blade edge is undamaged. I would have liked to have seen it in it's glory days thats for sure. I usually look for valid battlefield pick ups to place in historical displays, I just want to make sure this is something that needs rescue from the flea market or not.

Thanks again, Alex!

2v1axzp.jpg

2zr2a0z.jpg

16kur2r.jpg

9h5lea.jpg

I went ahead and traded after my buddy threw in a unusual USMC pre ww2 uniform which could be a prize in itself. I figured out that the tanto was from the shitahara school but could not match the bottom kanji to a individual This clean version is a pretty close match as far as characteristics that I see faintly on this flea market find. http://ryujinswords.com/hiroshige.htm A special thanks to Alex for taking the time to write a personal message.

Semper Fi,

Bob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..