worth purchasing?

markturner

Hi, so basically as good as any shinken I could buy from a martial arts store, with the added bonus of at least being a genuine Japanese army blade...? Non trad made means oil tempered hamon, and no folded steel, correct?

PS, what do you think of the claims to being the work of well regarded smith of the Era? ( Nakago, ubu, 1 hole, signed "Noshu Seki ju Kojima Katsumasa saku". This is a well known smith, discussed on page 80 of John Scott Slough's book on modern Japanese swords. )

Thanks, Mark

A "Showato" can be anything other than made from tamahagane, yaki-ire to form hamon/tempered edge and H2O quenched-which is a traditionally forged Japanese sword-"Nihonto".

You alone can decide if this blade is preferable to a modern Shinken.

My thought is I would prefer a Japanese blade with some history (even Showato) than a run of the mill Shinken.

Regards.

There was a thread started a while ago about this seller. I have had the displeasure of doing business with him recently and second the opinions put forth in the initial post. When the items arrived scratched because they were rattling around in the box he accused me of extortion (even though I never asked him for anything). He was very hostile and I got the impression he was used to bullying unsatisfied customers. Potential buyers warned.

Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..