Katana Mei help

gtstcactus

Hi,

I viewed a Katana in Shirasaya today the seller said it was made somewhere from 1830-1945 which was not greatly helpful...

My cellphone camera couldn't get a good photo so a helpful Chinese man copied the mei down for me, attatched is a scan of the said mei. He wrote the one in ballpoint pen. My girlfriend the copy in black marker. I've posted both as the 2nd character looked more like 3 E's with a line thru them not so much like 3 squares as the gentleman wrote. He said that's how he reads them tho. So I've put both up in hope of an answer.

When he wrote it down for me he said the 3rd character contained 9 strokes and the 4th 6 Strokes. The 3rd looks to contain 8 but may just be the way it was copied. I'm just trying to give as much info as possible because I don't have a photo of the actual mei which would have been much better!

So far I have come up with (It's most likely I'm wrong as I'm not really certain about my effort)

1st character - 3

2nd character - ?

3rd character - Masa

4th Character - Nari

The database here contains no smith by that name, there is 1 smith by that name in John Yumoto's book but different character were used.

If someone could help I would be most greatful

post-2538-14196824151372_thumb.jpg

post-2538-14196824151668_thumb.jpg

Thank you both for your time and help.

As it turns out I did actually get the 1st character I had Mi or San written down but disregarded Mi, shows my lack of experience I guess. Masahiro looks much better than Masanari like I had come up with.

Did this Masahiro of Mishina School make Gendaito or Showato? Was he an average smith, good smith, or not so good? Any information appreciated. There are no stamps on the nakago or any other marking apart from the mei.

I am searching for any info I can find on this smith at the moment so if anyone has any info be it ratings or anything else...

Thanks again

Jas

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..