Very nice Owari piece!

Indeed!

i think somebody should grap it-it´s offered for an very excellent price-and if like that(it actually looks like for me in just referencing on the pictures)somebody seriously interested in good quality Tsuba,should take it!

Such pieces are relatively rare to find,however in regard of " if Market or No Market......"

Very long time i did see such on Ebay...

Somebody does have,or had in past,good relation to this seller?

Christian

Aww, and now it is gone :bang:

But then again, the price was steep, no? $1,750... If it were ex-Sasano, that would have been a bargain... Funny how provenance matters. There is one Owari from Sasano's silver book on eBay for $8,500...

Mariusz ;)

do not worry!-(but i already told you....) ;)

The only personal "art" (yourself may,can,will add to an wonderful(sometimes) object of the past) in building an collection for yoursself-is to buy to the right moment and price-that´s all,ever was-and ever will be...

We all do that....?

Laugh!

:D

Christian

Aww, and now it is gone :bang:

But then again, the price was steep, no? $1,750... If it were ex-Sasano, that would have been a bargain... Funny how provenance matters. There is one Owari from Sasano's silver book on eBay for $8,500...

Speaking personally (not that I know how to do anything else ;) ) I don't think the price was excessive at all. In fact I'd suggest whoever bought it got a real bargain. As a very appealing and well made period Owari tsuba, with papers, I would suggest this is an absolute bargain.

I have to reiterate that I think the design is one of the more elegant and accomplished I've seen from this 'school'. It deserves to be well published, in my opinion.

Provenance only matters in this field if present 'connoisseurs' don't trust their own eyes and instincts. That such a premium is placed on the provenance (in terms of collections they've come from) of pieces today is, to me, something of an anomaly and would appear to indicate an lack of confidence in the present market.

The implication that a given piece is more 'valuable' than another because it once belonged to a revered scholar/connoisseur of the past is easily seen to be absurd when one recognises that the comparison is meaningless. We have no idea how the 'other' piece would have been judged had the revered connoisseur seen it. In my opinion this example is at least as good as most in Sasano's publications. If we begin to actually look at the works themselves perhaps we'll begin to see the qualities the connoisseurs and scholars of the past saw. Focussing on provenance and papers blinds us to what the objects themselves embody.

Historical provenance is an entirely different matter, of course.

Not so nice condition. It was pointed out to me that it has/has some serious rust issues at one time.

Take a close look at the pics. Nice theme....but I agree with the person who pointed it out to me...not the best condition example and wasn't a bargain imho.

Brian

The subject is an oar and river reeds/leaves

I don't know if these motifs allude to the story depicted in this painting but it's an intriguing thought.

Dōgen Zenji (19 January 1200 – 22 September 1253) was a Japanese Zen Buddhist teacher born in Kyōto, and the founder of the Sōtō school of Zen in Japan

Painted by Kawanabe Kyosai (1831-1889)

post-229-14196819644965_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..