Please help identify my sword why have no serial number

yuspatty

Hi my name Yuspatty, im from Indonesia, i just bought this sword from local collector, in my country we have a forum for people who love Japanese Gunto so i ask them, and they said my sword is (last ditch sword no serial number).

I need more information about my Gunto please help identify my sword (Gunto NCO) why my sword have no serial number...please give some advice or confirmation. is this a real Gunto in war world II? :(, Thank you.

P271211_0922.jpg

P271211_092201.jpg

P271211_091202.jpg

P271211_0913.jpg

P281211_0829.jpg

P281211_0828.jpg

Yustinus,

Without having this in hand, I think it is almost impossible to identify if this is real or fake from pics. The fakes have good arsenal stamps too. Although if a fake, I wonder why they wouldn't add a serial number.

To me, the blade groove looks a bit rounded and buffed, not a great sign. But it starts at the right place, which many fakes don't do.

The handle...I don't like the lack of sharp lines or lack of paint....but the tsuba looks good.

So there are good points and bad ones. I hate those words "last ditch" as they are used on any sword that doesn't look well done, and seems to excuse anything that is suspect. If this were a late war one, wouldn't it have the later wooden handle?

That said, some things look right...so there is always a 50/50 chance. I am not even close to an expert on these, so I can't answer your question fully.

It is an NCO Shin Gunto...the bottom of the range of the mass produced swords. So many would ask if it really matters. But if you need a better idea, you need to contact someone like Jim Dawson or a Gunto expert.

Good luck.

Brian

Hallo Brian,

I just PMs who active members in forum, I think they are the right man who I can get the information, when the first time i sent PM many of them replayed my pm and gave me an answered and became my friend, even they shere with me their exsperince. I think i can do the same thing to the other person but i was wrong. And im so sorry i dont mean to annoying some one especially kusunokimasahige, I sent PM twice to him this is my foult not pay attention, couse his name covered with bottom menus.

I will accept any consequence. Dear all who I gave PM's I,m so sorry and please forgive my foult.

best regard

kusunokimasahige

Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:26 am

Stephen

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:24 am

Grey Doffin

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:23 am

Ken-Hawaii

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:12 am

Brian

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:53 pm

Henry Wilson

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Bungo

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:48 pm

cabowen

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:44 pm

SwordGuyJoe

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:43 pm

sencho

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:39 pm

Mark

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:37 pm

george trotter

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:14 pm

Grey Doffin

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:17 am

k morita

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:59 am

__((((())))))___

ah the youthful exuberance of the new sword owner, I did not mind the PM I've had a lot worse pests than you new sword owner, keep looking you may find a real treasure.

edit to add

this forum is more military frendly than true Nihonto form.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... y.php?f=59

Thanks Stephen, i just happy having an ordinary sword like my NCO's Gunto, in my country is not easy to get sword like this, i must work hard, saving money to get this sword, there are so many fake sword selling in my country, im looking for this things since i was in junior high, for me yes i,m very happy but i don't know one day i can fine the real treasure...but to day iif my gunto is not fake i just find a simply treasure i have a piece of my nation history. thanks a lot stephen and i try looking for the real treasure :). Sorry Stephen if i annoying you with my PM, from this time i will not sent any PM anymore.

Check out these 2 posts:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=11428&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=10782&hilit=indonesia

especially the posts by johnb

Maybe give him a pm. He is a Japanese sword collector living now in Jakarta, and has found a few genuine swords in Indonesia. If anyone knows the situation there, it is him. He can give you some good advice and maybe show you a sword or 2.

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Yustinus,

Your type 95 appears to be correct, from the photo's i can only say that i agree with Brian's observations.

I've had these before, with worn paint on handles, check for traces of paint- especially inbetween the grooves of the simulated handle wrapping. The screws holding the handle on appear to be original also.

I have a copper handled type 95 with what appeared to be no numbers on the blade, after careful cleaning above the blade groove near the habiki as in your first pic, i found a very faint stamping which matched the scabbard and made my day!

Fakes in these are getting better by the month, good pictures would help us out better in assisting you, a good keen eye for details will help you in spotting a fake.

Ernst

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..