2011 DTI activities part II - the Kurokawa party

One of the highlights of every DTI is the Sōkendō http://www.sokendo.net/ party at Mr. Kurokawa’s home. This year he outdid himself, one of the best parties he ever hosted. Among the guests of honor were a former Japanese Foreign Minister, a former Japanese Minister of the Interior, the chairman of the NHK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHK, and Massimo Paris, a founding member of I Musici http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Musici, the famous Italian chamber orchestra.

There even was a lucky draw with lots of great prices, first price being a sword by Sōshū Yukimitsu! The Shirasaya had Sayagaki by two Honami. Well, the Shirasaya was real … as was the Tsunagi inside! Lots of laughs, but nonetheless a great piece of history and a fine addition to any collection.

post-13-14196814486675_thumb.jpg

post-13-14196814488078_thumb.jpg

post-13-14196814489335_thumb.jpg

Looks fun, and seems Cyrus recovered. It does sound like he is the SouthPark Kenny of the bunch, as every year there is an episode involving his near death to some degree. Was it last year he attempted to crack his skull by shivoling in wet expensive Italian shoes on a highly polished floor?

Darcy always spoke highly of Kurokawa-san and I was surprised to realize from a business card in one of my Nihonto books that I met him by chance a long time ago as I started collecting. I was a near total newbie, but we were both admiring a koto bizen tanto with strong utsuri and got to talking for a few minutes. Irony is that my first Bizen also came from Kurokawa-san.

Seeing Fred W. with a shoe tied to his head should be printed en-masse with the caption Fearless Leader and tapped to every table at the next SF show.

• 2 weeks later...

I love partying in Japan; anywhere really, my only concern, as always, is that the trains shut down too early and that the taps are closed in most places hours before I have had my limit. Most places where the hour is not a concern are too dear and I hate hanging around the coin op at wee hours of the morn. :beer: :beer: :badgrin: John

Friends,

A week ago this list addressed "problems at the NBTHK" It sounded serious and I seriously suggested that the steady hand of senior sword collectors would soon be bringing us sage assessments of what is going on at the NBTHK. Perhaps it is good news that nobody looks very worried . . about anything.

Pass the sushi, please.

But, please when I was coming up I learned to use a shirasaya bukuro to tie shoes on to my head. I mean, please, who wears a tie now?

Peter

I love partying in Japan; anywhere really, my only concern, as always, is that the trains shut down too early and that the taps are closed in most places hours before I have had my limit. Most places where the hour is not a concern are too dear and I hate hanging around the coin op at wee hours of the morn. :beer: :beer: :badgrin: John

The trick is, John, to get the last train home (usually with Guido - always an adventure) and then find a local izakaya (or snack bar/kyabrakura 8) ) within staggering or rolling distance of your home/accommodation... there is usually somewhere within budget.. even way out in the countryside... (however the snack bars can get a bit dodgy, the further from the city you get!)

Cheers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..