Hira Zukuri katana

Brian

Hi all,

Looking for any details, info, comments or pics of hira zukuri katana. How common are they, and were they predominantly a Shinshinto thing, Koto or all eras?

I'll post pics of the one I picked up in a day or 2. Must say, quite attractive and I guess a little unusual.

Brian

Brian, I had an uchigatana in hira zukuri that I traded a number of years ago (before I realized how rare it was) to a local dealer (who will remain unnamed) that had NTHK papers indicating it was koto. I've pulled a mental blank on who the smith was, & no longer work with that dealer, so I can't ask him.

Ken

Believe it or not "made to use" hira zukuri katana are also more recent...I have seen a WWII gendaito in Type 98 mounts with this blade. It was made by Yanagawa Ushoshin (also Seishoshin) and the mei can be seen here http://home.earthlink.net/~ttstein/seisho.jpg I can't remember exactly now but it may be tachi-mei.

I know nothing about him other than he is listed in the Gendai Swordsmiths list linked above under "Special Ranks - Betseki".

Sorry I have no pic, but this may be one of the swords my friend recently lost in a break-in.

Regards,

• Like 1

Thanks guys, keep them coming.

In my case, what I have is an obvious gimei Muramasa. It doesn't have enough age to be Muramasa. But someone certainly went to a lot of trouble to fake Muramasa, as it has a lot of traits. Hamon comes close to the ha in places (not worn through polishing though) and although not 100% identical, you can see the smith tried to make the hamon similar each side. Lovely hamon, which pops in the right light. A little tobiyaki/muneyaki in places. Just generally a pleasing sword.

But what interests me most is the hira zukuri. Someone obviously forged this blade to begin with to emulate this school. I need to add that they slipped up with the nakago, as they didn't quite get the shape right. Almost...but altered I suspect.

Not sure whether this started out as a sword that was then later gimei'd...or as I suspect..made as an utsushimono that was later signed.

It has part Gunto fittings, part old fittings. Went to war. Maybe a Shinshinto? No flaws, and the hada is so tight that it isn't very visible in the current polish.

Whatever it is, I think it is unusual and quite like it. I only have the pics I was first sent. Will try post better ones this weekend.

Brian

DSC_1.jpg

DSC_321.JPG

DSC_0326.JPG

DSC_0383.JPG

DSC_341.JPG

DSC_319.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 9 years later...
On 10/25/2011 at 12:37 PM, Brian said:

Thanks guys, keep them coming.

In my case, what I have is an obvious gimei Muramasa. It doesn't have enough age to be Muramasa. But someone certainly went to a lot of trouble to fake Muramasa, as it has a lot of traits. Hamon comes close to the ha in places (not worn through polishing though) and although not 100% identical, you can see the smith tried to make the hamon similar each side. Lovely hamon, which pops in the right light. A little tobiyaki/muneyaki in places. Just generally a pleasing sword.

But what interests me most is the hira zukuri. Someone obviously forged this blade to begin with to emulate this school. I need to add that they slipped up with the nakago, as they didn't quite get the shape right. Almost...but altered I suspect.

Not sure whether this started out as a sword that was then later gimei'd...or as I suspect..made as an utsushimono that was later signed.

It has part Gunto fittings, part old fittings. Went to war. Maybe a Shinshinto? No flaws, and the hada is so tight that it isn't very visible in the current polish.

Whatever it is, I think it is unusual and quite like it. I only have the pics I was first sent. Will try post better ones this weekend.

Brian

DSC_1.jpg

DSC_321.JPG

DSC_0326.JPG

DSC_0383.JPG

DSC_341.JPG

DSC_319.JPG

Has a large pitted on blade pitted  spot 

The rest looks nice 

steve 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..