Mr.Slough's Oshigata book.

Morita-san,

I also tried to contact him last year. I reached a friend of his who told me that Mr. Slough has not been in contact for quite some time, and is not actively involved with Nihonto at the moment. This was perhaps due to some personal issues he was experiencing.

Morita san -

John lived a few miles from me several years ago when he was first putting together material for his book. Several of my swords are in his book (as are those of many on this forum). I unfortunately lost track of him a good time ago. Seems he moved to Florida (heard that second hand); after that I don't know.

Anyway, would you feel comfortable posting the translation errors from his book for us? I'm especially interested in those with oshigata. Having published many articles and been a contributing writer for a couple magazines, I know that everyone makes errors. That is not a condemnation of any writer, just a fact; sometimes it is the writer, sometimes the publisher who makes the errors. I've never felt embarrassed nor "stepped on" when someone corrects an error I've made (and I've made lots of them :-)

Rich S

Hi, Dr.Stein and Mr.Stephen,

Thank you for the information and the advices.

OK,I am going to upload the photos of the corrected pages here.

Please wait several days.

First of all, their the translation errors of Kanjis are small error, and does not reduce their great achievements of their Oshigata book, and the value.

And there are no translation error of swordsmith's name. :D

Thank you Stephen. :D

On page 159, B1.

"SA-MU-HA-RA" is an incantation(magic word) for no being injured.(Originally it is Sambara God in Sanskrit.).

These four characters are not Kanji or Kanji in Tensho form, either.

Each character is a mixed Kanji character.

to continue....

post-191-14196813943495_thumb.jpg

• 9 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..