confused

cruzinxz300zx

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Japanese-M ... 1329145366

Can someone check out this auction and let me know what they think of it. I don't know much about swords but shouldn't this sword be selling for more if it is handmade (hell even if it isn't handmade).. it doesn't show the signature or anything but it says its handmade and I think I can make out a little grain in one of the pictures....

Any help greatly appreciated.

I enlarged the rather poor quality picture and it became even more obvious that it's Chinese, NOT Japanese no matter what they say it is. The handle wrapping is wrong and plus it looks like they used rather cheap cotton rather than silk ito. The fittings seem to be rather poor quality also and since 99% of what comes out of China in the way of so called Japanese swords, is fake, there's no reason to believe this is real. But, better to ask first rather than take a chance. Or, when in doubt, do without and save your money. Good luck.

Ed Harbulak

Don't bid on ANY so called "Japanese sword" where the seller is from China. There are thousands of swords out of China (like the one you listed) at any given moment on ebay and they are ALL FAKE. Matter of fact, it's a bad idea to buy any sword off ebay unless you really know what your doing.

Also, just because a sword has hada does not make it a Nihonto.

I'm glad you had the sense to ask first. Anytime we can stop someone from putting money in the pockets of the fraudulent dealers is a plus.

Seriously, eBay is the last place to go to try and learn about Nihonto.... I suggest you begin by reading everything on

http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/nihonto.htm

which is a great introduction, and FREE.

Then search the forums on this site, which goes back years, very interesting, and FREE.

Then, buy some good Nihonto books, which you can find a list here....

http://www.satcho.com/

You can buy 2 or 3 great books for the same price as Chinese junk sword on eBay.

By then, you will know exactly what the difference between Chinese junk and a true Nihonto is. :)

-Derek

I had a feeling something was wrong when the price was that low (considering that even a blade that wasn't hand forged would be more expensive than that) but the feedback for the seller was at or near 100% that's is the ONLY thing that caused me to take a second look.. I knew you all would steer me in the right direction though :) :thanks:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..