Opinions on sword

Basically, yes.

Usually this happens when the blade straightens itself due to(unwanted) stress relief.

I am not a swordsmith, so the metalurgists and professionals among you may correct me. I try to say it the way I understand the process:

When a blade is tempered (yaki-ire), the blade bends upward and a lot of structural stress is built up. This is usually relieved afterwards by a low- temperature heat treatment(yaki-modoshi).

If this is not done accurately or not at all, there will remain unhealthy tension. Depending whether this is towards yakiba or towards mune, there will be hagire or shinae.

Unfortunately these not always appear immediately, because then the blade would be scrapped. To the shock of us poor collectors these cracks usually show after centuries of use and repeated polishings, when the thickness is reduced and the structure thus weakened. :bang:

Dear Forum members:

Is it possible to determine monetary value of this sword from what you have seen.

Based on your experience with swords you have looked at is there a $ +/- I could pass on to my friend or

would you please make suggestions as to where he might inquire.

Thank you.

Rick

Hey Alan,

If I am not mistaken, this is what I said. ;)

Cheers, :beer:

Martin, I think Alan was pointing out that yaki-ire would be considered hardening rather than tempering and yaki-modoshi would be considered tempering.

It's very easy to get the terms mixed up. Even knowledgable people do it all the time.

Sorry to be off topic, do all or some modern contemporary swordsmiths do yaki-modoshi to make the swords less brittle today? Or was this something that only ancient swordsmiths did to make swords more battle ready by making it less brittle?

Cheers,

Jason

All the ones I have watched do it. It is a safe assumption that they all do it as it greatly improves the performance of the blade.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..