Back from the Dead - Samurai

An interesting program, viewable for those in the UK:

"The unearthing of a gruesome grave filled with thousands of skeletons at Kamakura in Japan could hold the answers to the mystery surrounding the true origins of one of the most feared and revered warriors of all time: the Samurai."

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/back ... /episode-3

rob m

These remains reveal the secrets of the Samurai , their ferocious fighting skills and their merciless killing techniques.

Sounds more like "Ghost Whisperer" than "CSI" or "Bones". Can't watch it either (UK IP only?), but not sure I really want to after this description ...

It is quite interesting. They take 6 of the skeletons found and examine how they died. Interestingly, one was found with multiple sword strikes to his head, while each wasn't enough to kill him, a final below from behind did. Also shows the use of bow and arrow at close range and a short piece on modern day swordsmith. Try the link below, perhaps that will work for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj1VLQrXfNc

rob m

Gentlemen

I thought it was OK but it was full of those annoying things like a terrible metal on metal grating noise when swords were drawn and indifferent acting. I thought all the dramatisation was somewhat poor and many conclusions were drawn from the flimsiest of evidence, such as

a) One was a high ranking smurai as he was not in a mass grave and

b)Another was an unskilled farmer because of the manner of cuts to the head etc

c) Swords were called and depicted as katana but of course there were only tachi at this time

Actually these remains have been known about for at least a decade and been widely commented on in the past.

Clive Sinclaire

All, If I may add to Clive's comments. I do not think I have seen anything quite as sensationalist and yes, fatuous. Quite who decides on the format of these programmes and hires the 'experts' is beyond me. All the decision seems to have taken by someone who knows absolutely nothing about the subject but think they know what the 'public' want. As Clive said, all swords were katana, and most of the 'armour' seems to have consisted of rectangles of painted cardboard glued onto white cloth jackets worn with a conical cardboard jingasa. One scene involved a guy wearing a a sugake laced armour with a momonari kabuto - in the Kamakura period? He and a so-called farmer began their duel by flying through the air in the manner of a Chinese kung-fu film. All that was missing were ninja sneaking about in black pyjamas. The only redeeming feature was Stephen Turnbull doing the 'talking head' who had clearly been film separately and his comments spliced in. He at least told the tale accurately.

Like many of these programmes, many of the 'facts' are based on the flimsiest of suppositions. In this one the classic was - this person had a deformed leg -- many men in Japan who had a deformity became Buddhist monks -- this was a Buddhist monk! The skulls of the man and women that displayed numerous cuts became a wealthy farmer and his wife who defended their rather palatial home by a protracted sword fight with the above momonari-ed samurai. On what evidence? How did they know the cuts were received in a fight? They could just as easily have been unarmed interior decorators (using same poetic license about interior decorators as the programme's producers did about everything else) simply hacked down by the attackers.

In the end I could take no more and switched it off - to stop myself chucking my shoe at the TV screen.

Ian Bottomley

I'm with you Clive and Ian. I too am sick of the 'dumbed down' dramatised so called 'doco's' designed to misinform and capture the imagination of the general public all in the name of ratings.

If only there was an international TV channel that dealt with science based facts and theories from all walks of professionalism. I wish I had the finances to create one myself - I believe it would become quite popular!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..