Tōgō Heihachirō's sword katana-New member + URGENT HELP!!!

Stuart R

In originally reading this thread, I was waiting for the bomb where you said you paid some bumbling amount such as $20,000.

In another thread, some guy has a Norimitsu which has been kicked around.... and he believes it is worth $20,000. I just roll my eyes and watch him take another hit off the Antiques Roadshow CrackPipe, waiting for photos when the truth is he will be lucky if his sword is worth $5000.

Here you had a traditionally made blade with forging flaw (rather common, though yours was a bit large), a finger print (classic oops), and probably gimei (also rather common) and koshirae. The koshirae is more my area of knowledge these days. Frankly, the koshirae had need for one or two minor repairs.... but would cost you a min of $2000.... if not a good bit more depending upon condition, material, and various details I couldn't see clearly enough in the photos. Probably you just returned a koshirae worth $2000 to $5000. I cannot evaluate the value of the blade.

Also, sword had a nice little kake for it. If sword was original fitted to the koshirae and fit properly, it sounds like the original seller did you a fair deal except for the hoakie Togo story.

The owners may have been upset about us pointing out flaws, but for once I think we have a visitor here who might have made a mistake on the downside. My view is that you just returned a sword+koshirae probably worth between $3000 and $8000. There are certainly a few Canadian experts you could have asked about it. No idea on the value of the statue.

And the moral of this story is not to do anything in a rush or a panic, including jumping to conclusions based on internet opinions, themselves based on photos that could be very much better, but instead to take the advice given - and repeated - to let someone who knows what they are on about inspect it in hand.

Kevin

Hello Curran,

You mention in your post that there are several Canadian experts who one might approach in cases such as this. Like Stuart, I too live in The Great White North, am pretty new to this, and would find that information useful in the future if faced with a rapidly closing window on the right of return. Possibly they are members here? Could you supply some names and/or contact information for me?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Stu

What is with all the Stuarts in Canada? Me'thinks a Campbell like myself would be less than welcome. Of course, having an Irish last name for a first name.... the wife jokes at Campbell expense that I had an Irish ancestor that didn't run fast enough.

I thought to direct you to search on Location = Canada, but that didn't produce the results I'd hoped. Depending upon location, across your broad country... there are people to direct you. However, Nihonto collectors for many reasons including security would probably rather I have them get in touch with you. Ie. they'd have my head if I throw out their information. And... since protecting information is part of my work... that would just be poor form.

If you have something in particular, post here at NMB and send me a PM. I will try to get the Canadians I know to give it a look. There are at least 3 wicked smart ones I know.

Curran Campbell

No worries Curran, we've let in the occasion Campbell without any significant ill effects. :lol:

Now...swords experts north of the border...I'm going to send you a PM as this is more about the hypothetical as opposed to anything I'm currently facing.

Thanks,

Stu

Interesting topic! One of the first things I learned when I came to this forum was: When something looks to good to be true it most of the time is.

For 4000 dollars it is quite a gamble indeed, I really have the wrong job :( The sword looked nice as well as the koshirae I guess it is a good thing you were able to return it as it wasn't what you expected it to be.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..