Tachi opinions

Lee Bray

I've just been given this tachi by my father; it's been his for thirty years, bought in Belfast, Ireland.

Nagasa is 28"

Mihaba is 30mm, sakihaba is 23mm

Kasane is 7mm tapering to 5mm at the kissaki.

Nakago has 2 mekugi ana - top is drilled and lower is punched. There is also a partial ana at the nakagojiri which is punched. If this partial ana was the original and single ana, the nagasa would be around 33".

In the right light, a chu-suguha/ko-notare hamon can be seen.

My thoughts are that the sugata suggests late Kamakura/Nambokucho era.

I think the nakago has been altered(shortened) at least twice; the last time being the drilled ana which fits the koshirae I'll post in the Tosugu forum.

Despite the poor condition with deep scratches, chips and rust, the thickness through the nakago into the blade suggests it's healthy and not over polished. Also, the bohi termination suggests the boshi will be healthy as it doesn't look as though the kissaki has seen a lot of damage. There are a couple of very thin ware in the mune but otherwise seems to be free of flaws.

I considered it maybe a Shinshinto copy but I don't think it is, an opinion later backed up by my mentor.

So I was very happy for a few days until I found the deep hagire about 10" from the kissaki... :bang:

I'll be going to Japan in October(DTI) so I'm considering taking this blade along to show one or two dealers for their opinions and also a couple of the board members here. I understand the registration process and fees involved and I'm happy to deal with that.

Am I wasting my time and money?

I know it's fatal and won't pass shinsa but seems a shame to let a 'National Treasure' go by... :D

Main reason being it is my father's sword and I want to know as much as I can about it.

th_sugata.jpg

th_013.jpg

th_014.jpg

th_012.jpg

Hi Lee

I think you Nambokucho call is reasonable based on shape and size. In its current condition it would be difficult to pass an opinion as to whether it might be original or a shin-shinto copy. My initial reaction is that it isnt a later copy but this view is based more on feeling than evidence.

While taking to Japan or considering having it polished may not make commercial sense if you were hoping to sell it at a profit your family association with it may justify the expense.

I think you father is a very generous man!

good luck

Paul

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..