Need help ID'ing this sword

UNFMoose

All I know about this sword, is that my Granddad brought it back after WWII or Korea. Neither my dad or I ever asked him about it. I don't think I even knew it existed until after he had a massive stroke and lost his speech. Anywho, I am interested in basic info about it, how to find out more info about it, and if it is worth restoring. I posted this on another forum and was directed here. Sorry about some of the pics, they looked clear on my small camera screen. Thanks!

DSC00608.jpg

DSC00610.jpg

DSC00611.jpg

DSC00612.jpg

DSC00613.jpg

DSC00614.jpg

DSC00615.jpg

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00617.jpg

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00639.jpg

sword looks interesting. The blade is a few hundred years old. If you decide to have it restored it will be expensice (to do it right, and that is the only way we recommend), probably $3000-4000. If the sword has sentimental value and you want to spend that we can help with some good craftsmen to do the work. If you are not going to restor it best to keep a light cost of oil on the blade to help stop it getting worse. Where are you located? maybe you are near a local club that could offer assistance

Hizen Kuni ju Minamoto Tane hiro

肥前国住源種広

There were two generations, both worked in Saga. First worked in Kanei, the second in Kanbun.

So what does this mean? I really don't know anything, and I am not finding too much on google, and don't really know where to go. I do have lots of reading to do about the basic terms and whatnot.

So what does this mean? I really don't know anything, and I am not finding too much on google, and don't really know where to go. I do have lots of reading to do about the basic terms and whatnot.

It means there was 2 different sword smiths that signed with this mei, 1 of which worked in the Kanei era (1624-1643) and the other in the Kanbun era (1661-1673) meaning your sword is somewhere between 390-340 years old.

The blade was made by a smith names Tanehiro. He lived in Saga city, in Hizen Province. He worked in the 1600's. There were two generations of smiths who signed this way. One worked in the mid 1600's, the other in the later part.

I would suspect this sword is worth a professional restoration. As others have pointed out, it would be expensive, but the blade may be worth it. You need to get it in the hands of someone with experience to make that judgment.

Wow. :shock: Thanks for the help! This is pretty exciting.

As far as restoration goes, that obviously helps with value. If I have no interest in selling it, other than further corrosion, are there any downsides to holding off on restoration? I would definitely be interested in a new handle (Tsuka I believe), or at least new Menuki. Also, the Saya I have for it seems to be too short, and as seen in the pictures, in horrible condition.

Wow. :shock: Thanks for the help! This is pretty exciting.

As far as restoration goes, that obviously helps with value. If I have no interest in selling it, other than further corrosion, are there any downsides to holding off on restoration? I would definitely be interested in a new handle (Tsuka I believe), or at least new Menuki. Also, the Saya I have for it seems to be too short, and as seen in the pictures, in horrible condition.

I personally think it would be a good idea if you are planning to get your blade restored, to do all of it at once. You would not want to have a new saya made for your blade in it's current condition because the rust would contaminate the inside and if you at a later time got your sword polished and stored it in a contaminated saya, rust could spread onto the blade again and ruin your pricey new polish. If your tight on money for restoring it I believe Fred Lohman does some good work at a relatively low cost.

I personally think it would be a good idea if you are planning to get your blade restored, to do all of it at once. You would not want to have a new saya made for your blade in it's current condition because the rust would contaminate the inside and if you at a later time got your sword polished and stored it in a contaminated saya, rust could spread onto the blade again and ruin your pricey new polish. If your tight on money for restoring it I believe Fred Lohman does some good work at a relatively low cost.

Good point. Thank you.

Mr. Moose,

I do not think you need to get the koshirae restored at the same time.

Many people will have a new shirasaya made when a sword is professionally polished, and I think this is probably your best option.

This sword has probably gone through various sets of koshirae in it's time, so you can almost separate the subject of the blade for the subject of the sword furniture.

Then if your heart is set on making new, or restoring old koshirae, or a mixture of the two, you can take your time at least before doing it.

My personal feeling is to appreciate the blade as it is. I feel that restored, new or cobbled together mixture of fittings has no historical relevance whatsoever to the sword itself. But that is just my view, others may not share this veiwpoint.

Cheers.

IMHO, I think it has character the way it is. It looks like a piece of history. Not that others don't, but in looking at restored pictures, I get the sense of new blade, not old with a potential rich history. I don't know what the typical opinion is in this community, but that's how I see it right now, and one of the reasons I was thinking about getting just a new Menuki. I see where I can buy it online, but I have yet to look for a tutorial on how to wrap it. Thanks for your input Sencho!

Hi Mr. Moose,

What it "looks" like and what it actually is, are two entirely different things. Forget the romantic notions.

You can certainly buy menuki that are 500 years old (or brand new) and wrap the ito yourself, stick it on the mantlepeice and it may "look" authentic to you, however you will know that it isn't, and an experienced person will see through it immediately... The last set of menuki that this koshirae had are gone, so is the ito, kashira, etc., and cobbling together odd bits and peices procured over the internet are just going to make this all a bit of a joke.

Having the blade professionally polished and then keeping it properly maintained and preserved, is a historically relevant process, and this is the direction that you should be looking.

This may mean separating it from the koshirae that it is in right now.

Cheers

Hi,

According my books, this Tanehiro is not the shodai, maybe a second generation.

Thanks for taking the time to look!

Somehow, I really doubt your name is "Moose." Would you please sign your real name for your post, per Brian's rules?

Thanks, & welcome to the forum.

Ken

You know, I saw that in the rules, and with the info requested on registration I had the understanding it was an automatic signature. Oops.

Tim

Moose actually is a real nickname though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..