Oshigata of Bitchu Sadatsugu

Ronin 47

Hi Austin,

I have had a ten minute run througfh such references as I have but cant find anything that late. The only reference that suggests there was a Bitchu Sadatsugu working in the Oei period is Hawley. Most others seem to end around 1360. As you will probably know most long swords made in the sue Aoe period were massive and as a result few (very few) examples of signed ubu works appear. An ubu Ietsugu was auctioned last year with an estimate in excess of $100k. I dont think it sold but the estimate is indicative of the rarity of late ubu sue Aoe work.

There are good examples of ko wakazashi and tanto from this time with full long mei. But again none that I have found to date are as late as Oei period.

Sorry I am sure this isnt much help.

Regards

Paul

I have found two conflicting references, one that indicates that there was a Sadatsugu that worked from about Enbun-Joji to the very beginning of Oei, and another that says that there was a fourth generation that was named Emontaro Sadatsugu that started working at the beginning of Oei. Anyway if anybody has any Oshigata of the Enbun-Joji guy I would be most interested in taking a look at that as well as any signed works from any Aoe Sadatsugu working in Oei. Thanks again for any help.

Sincerely,

Austin R.

Hi Austin,

I do not know if this is of any use, but Kozu Haku Oshigata (Honma Kunzan) contains the following Sadatsugu koto oshigata. Unfortunately the information is limited to that he signed Sadatsugu Saku, and worked in Bitchu province.

Veli

post-1060-14196808978116_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Bicchu Koku ju Sadatsugu.Oan 2nen 2gatsu-hi.(February, 1369).

This blade was made by Sadatsugu in Nanbokucho period. 
He was a son of Aoe Suketsugu. At first his signature was Morisada.
And after, his signature changed to Sadatsugu.

Micha

post-1761-14196809027911_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys for all the oshigata they have been very helpful. I was also wondering if anyone had any oshigata of any Aoe smiths that were working in the late Nanbokucho early Oei. Paul do you happen to have a picture or a link to that ubu Ietsugu that was for sale?

Hi Austin,

sorry I dont it was something that appeared above the horizon last year. I think it was in a Bonhams sale so it should be possible to find it in their archive. If not them then most likely Christies.

Not much help I know but all I have.

Good luck

Paul

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..