Oil

seppuku

I would only use sewing machine oil. No WD-40, Ballistol or gun oils, and i am not sure about Choji oil even though it is the natural/original way. The sword care box i got contained what was supposed to be choji in a small flask but it smelt like gun oil to me, and the uchiko smelt like talcon powder. so i threw it away.

KM

I would only use sewing machine oil. No WD-40, Ballistol or gun oils, and i am not sure about Choji oil even though it is the natural/original way. The sword care box i got contained what was supposed to be choji in a small flask but it smelt like gun oil to me, and the uchiko smelt like talcon powder. so i threw it away.

KM

That may have been a chinese kit. Lohman has good ones, and some other people too. If it was really cheap chances are it wasn't good quality. Choji should be clear, not yellowish.

What color was the choji you had?

Josh, do NOT use pure clove oil on your blade!! Choji oil has 0.5-1.0% clove oil for fragrance, but if you check out the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for clove oil (http://sciencekit.com/images/art/Clove_Oil_197.00.pdf), you'll see that it evaporates rapidly, leaving your blade unprotected. Straight mineral oil in a very thin layer will work just fine for your blade.

Hopefully, you ordered choji rather than clove oil...right?

Ken

I have been using the Hanwei oil spray (chinese, yellowish) on my Paul Chen blades for years, and it hasn't done any damage. Further to that, it seems to stay on the blade forever.

I used Japanese choji oil on my nihonto and I have noticed that within a week it seems to fully evaporate... So for a nihonto blade, especially a newly-polished one, maybe the chinese one is a safer choice?

To me it seems rather pointless to go looking for an alternative to the oil used by the Japanese for centuries, just for the sake of it. Why do so many new collectors think they know better than the people who made the sword in the first place? We have covered this question countless times and still it keeps coming up and there are still people who think they can improve on a time honoured and proven product. :dunno:

For a traditionally made nihonto, Go Choji!!!!!!!! :D :D