Cast tsuba and fakes

Looks like nowdays they don't even bother trying to clean up the flashing inside the ana. :roll:

Here is a perfect example of a cast repro before they clean it up. If this doesn't strike you as VERY fake immediately...you may need to study more before buying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-Japanese-Ka ... 2a05a8b0a6

Brian

1229104_780_DSC01808.jpg

The question begs itself, by virtue of some recent thinking concerning cast tsuba, will this still be a cast tsuba after someone buys it and cleans it up? It will then have the marks upon it of having been worked by hand, and thus have been miraculously transformed into a forged tsuba....... ;)

...will this still be a cast tsuba after someone buys it and cleans it up?

Yes. ;)

This tsuba came on a papered sword I bought in HK a few years back. The seller was an old fella that said he bought it in Japan twenty years back.

Sword is good but the tsuba was plainly cast with cast marks and cast "sekigane".

Whether the guy replaced the tsuba whilst in HK and didn't tell me or the tsuba was made in modern day Japan is only going to be speculation.

I had intended to file off the cast marks, give it some proper sekigane and a new patina because it fits the sword and also matches the koshirae theme(Kirimon). I know that's sacrilege ;) but the sword's a keeper and I don't have a tsuba to fit it, so...

Anyway...all this stuff about cast tsuba recently, I thought sod it and hit the thing with a hammer... ;)

Firmly held in a big vice, it was surprising the lack of effort needed to break it. Broke on the first tap with a 1/2 lb hammer.

You can see the grain size is huge. I've seen tighter grain in an Aero chocolate bar.

So, yes, it would still be a cast tsuba if someone took the time to do some work on it... but now they're going to have to do some welding to this one. If they can find it in the bin... ;)

post-419-14196807748463_thumb.jpg

post-419-14196807752004_thumb.jpg

I've seen tighter grain in an Aero chocolate bar.

:glee: :rotfl: :glee: :rotfl:

Kudos to you for removing it from the pool Lee :clap:

Also a very good example of what to look for and how they look inside. I may use the pic in the FAQ section..

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..