Flora and Fauna Symbolism In Japanese History

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to find actual information regarding animal/insect/plant symbolism in Japanese history? I would love to see what popularly represented creatures/plants meant (things like dragonflies, sakura blossoms, etc) if they had a special meaning attached to them. I've done lots of searching the net but find lots of conflicting or totally different information from one site to the next, so I'm wondering if there is a book I should be looking in. :)

Dear Rob,

Quite a good book is : Japanese Animal Art by Lea Baten, ISBN 7-07-974943-0 ... and although I do not have it, ... and long out of print ...

Decorative Motives of Oriental Art , by Katherine M. Ball ( might be available if you're near a major Public Library ).

... Ron Watson

Hi,

For example,

Dragonfly--Victory of fight.

Mantis--Symbol of bravery.

Bat----Symbol of long life.

Peony--Symbol of richness.

Cherry blossoms--Symbol in spring.

Japanese pampas grass---Symbol in autumn.

Peach---Symbol of long life.

Morning all

There's a wealth of info here (453 pages of legends, folk tales & symbolism).

http://www.archive.org/stream/legendinj ... 7/mode/2up

If you are not familiar with how the archive works, just click on the page you want to turn and the next page comes up.

There are more complex controls - single page, double page, thumbnail & zoom facilities on the nav bar at the bottom.

Cheers

Malcolm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..