Summer sale by Token Shibata

It is great that swords and fittings can be sold at a department store in Japan. That would be considered 'politically incorrect' in many other countries. I couldn't image Australian department store owners allowing this. They would think that the swords would scare off customers or something. Let alone the cost of public liability insurance.

Some museums in Australia have extensive collections of militaria (including Japanese swords), but will not display them because they believe customers might complain or be offended in some way. Sad, but true.

Hi Justin,

Yes, as you know,the images of sword is greatly different according to the history of each countries and national characters.

The sword sales booth in the department store is just like a museum. No one makes noise and the weird duck doesn't enter. :D

Japanese is generous to art swords though is not generous to firearms.

because they esteem and appreciate them in an everyday practice.

Most actually do not have much appreciation at all for Nihon-to....I remember people telling me in Japan that the only people interested in Japanese swords were yakuza and baseball players!

Don't visit Japan.

If you do...you will fall in love with it to the point that you can't think of anything else. Then you will find that you don't have money to travel again, and will spend the rest of your days walking around longing to be in Japan, and will be miserable most of the time.

..or so I hear..... :cry:

Brian

Hi Brian, :D

Thank you so much for loving Japan and Japanese swords.

As you saying,Japan must be Xanadu for foreigners of sword hobby.

But,because a good sword is very high price, we Japanese cannot also buy it.

---------------------------

Please visit by LCC(Low-Cost Carrier) aircraft, and stay at cheap, comfortable, kindly guest-houses if you do not have the budget. :glee: (I like budget travel very much).

It becomes a good experience it is only by seeing swords in sword shops and sword museums in Japan.

Thank you.

Hi, Moriyama san,

By the way, what the relation between Moriyama-san and Token Shibata?

Recently,I obtained an old book that former president Mr.Shibata Mitsuo had owned around 1950.

His signature on the book says, from [President of Dai nippon Token shinbun]--to--[Mr.Uchida Soten]--to--[Mr.Shibata Mitsuo] . :D

Morita san,

Actually I do not have any specific relation with Token Shibata. But I used to visit their shops in Ginza and Daimaru Tokyo, which were rather near my office. Also I am still subscribing to the monthly magazine Rei (麗) which are issued by them.

I have not visited their Ginza shop for more than one year. But it is their main shop and I have yet heard that the shop was closed. I understand the shop is still open, as it appears in their newest magazine

Morita san,

I have never been Choshuya, though I know it is a very good store.

(実はその他の店も含めて、目の毒になるものは見ないようにこのところ我慢しています。 病気がでやすいたちなので。 :lipssealed:

i have been to Choshuya store. Very expensive but negotiable prices. Very good stuff and friendly staff. not as many blades as expected, but great ones. Good kodogu too.

i have seen and handled much better blades in other shops, friendly guys who did not hesitate to give you a tokuju Chogi for study, then a Kiyomaro, a Juyo bijutsuhin, daisaku by 2 Muromachi Bizen smiths, a Hosho utsushi by Masahide ....

I shall attend next DTI. Due to Reinhard Courtesy, I had the honour to handle my first Kiyomaro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..