FINALLY ANOTHER VET BRING BACK SWORD

Some of you know that I collect WWII and earlier USMC, mostly from vet's families, so I get 2 or 3 Japanese swords a year. Many of you, especially Grey Doffin have been helpful. So here is one I just got with capture papers and Discharge of Army T/5 Melvin Stinnett, Anti-Aircraft Art. Battery. His service of about 3 1/2 years included 3 Battle Stars for action in the Solomons and Liberation Philippines. His nephew says the sword was acquired along with a pistol and binoculars in the Philippines or Fiji Islands. I have alot of photos but will try to only post enough so you can tell me about the sword. (sorry but I can't remember all the Japanese words for sword parts). It has a 2 hole tang that I see no markings on. The only Japanese characters are on the iron tsuba. The length from blade point tip to top of sword handle is 37 1/2 inches. From the point to the top of the tang is 33 3/8 inches. The engraving looks like the body of a dragon on one side with the tail carried over to the other side. The cap on the top of the handle as well as the metal part around the handle's base have inlay and are fancy. I hope the photos tell the rest of the story. Thanks for you input. Richard the old retired guy in FL.

post-1066-14196805841155_thumb.jpg

post-1066-14196805842703_thumb.jpg

post-1066-1419680584499_thumb.jpg

post-1066-14196805847_thumb.jpg

post-1066-14196805849294_thumb.jpg

post-1066-14196805851003_thumb.jpg

This is an older blade in traditional mounts. It was most likely the officer's family blade pressed into service for WWII. The tassle indicated a colonel I believe.....

The carving on the blade is rather poorly done and most likely there to hide a flaw in the forging of the blade. It was almost certainly added a long time after the blade was made after it was polished many times, exposing a flaw.

Please post pictures of the tip, nakago (tang) and perhaps more can be told.....

I know Brian wants poster's to say if they intend to sell the sword shown. Whenever I get a Japanese sword I always post it on this forum first and after I find out about it as well as approx. value I then offer it "FIRST" to members of this forum. I hope to trade this for WWI USMC item or sell it and I will not quote anyones opinion from here without asking first! Ed Marshall, Grey Doffin and Ted Tenold and others have been nice to me in the past. Thanks Richard Marquette the old retired guy in FL

This is an older blade in traditional mounts. It was most likely the officer's family blade pressed into service for WWII. The tassle indicated a colonel I believe.....

The carving on the blade is rather poorly done and most likely there to hide a flaw in the forging of the blade. It was almost certainly added a long time after the blade was made after it was polished many times, exposing a flaw.

Please post pictures of the tip, nakago (tang) and perhaps more can be told.....

post-1066-14196805877352_thumb.jpg

post-1066-1419680587911_thumb.jpg

post-1066-14196805880669_thumb.jpg

Hard to judge the age accurately from the photos but I don't think this is too old....There are some seriously deep pits in the tip area....The workmanship in the fittings says utilitarian....The tsuba is signed Kunihiro. It is not old and on the crude side....

Not a great work of art here but an honest user....

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the kind words; nice to hear from you again. The fittings on your handle (menuki, fuchi & kashira) are definitely older than WWII, maybe mid to late Edo (18th or 19th century), the tsuba might be older than the war but it's not special so it doesn't matter, and I think the blade might be vintage WWII or not much earlier. The patina on the nakago isn't convincing and the 2nd hole might have been added just to make it look old. The quality of the carving is, as Chris mentioned, very low, but I see nothing else about the blade to lead me to believe it's much better.

But I could be wrong. Let's see what others have to say.

Grey

I don't have much to add, though I would want to inspect the carving to see if it has been made shallow by several polishes. The shape looks like Kanbun Shinto to me, and the tang need not show all of that age if it was shortened more recently. No reason to restore it I would think, but it is a real samurai sword in my judgement.

Morning all

Hi Richard, the soft metal Menuki (handle ornaments under the Itomaki wrapping on the Tsuka handle) look like four stringed Biwa (Lute like instrument played with a large plectrum) on a Fue (flute) & the other appears to be a Koto (harp like instrument) on something else.

There may be an allegorical reason for these combinations.

Cheers

Malcolm

Nice ww2 bringback sword keep the paper work with it .

I pay more for guntos with history and so do some others and condition some times is not so important as it is ww2 history keep together please.

Bernard

Well different opinions, and I thankyou for them. Some think it is old, some think it is partially old (the hardware "for lack of the real words") and no opinions as to value. I will decide what I will list it for in your for sale section tomorrow, Saturday. The machine made 1930's - 40's military swords, that up until approx 5 years ago I could not get $200.00 for, are now bringing 2 + X's that amaze me. :crazy: But I will figure out a good profit for me and quote a selling price. Thank-you Richard

Well --- No one wanted to express an opinion on value so I just guessed at $595 - $695. and traded it for a marked 1918-19 USMC green wool tunic and pants with ribbons and sgt. majors chevrons. I'm happy and I think the trader is also; so that is all OK as we helped each other's collections. Once again Thanks to you all and I'll see you as soon as I find another Japanese sword. Also Grey: No more me taking on to help someone sell a possible National Treasure sword as that did not work out for either of us! Just helped the so and so who made promises and then took advantage of my contacts and your knowledge. Best Wishes and Happy Father's Day Richard

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..