Long Matchlock

In 18th century Korea, a long matchlock musket was developed, called a cheonbochong (千步銃), or "thousand pace gun". One recorded example was 165cm long and weighed about 10kg (no listed bore diameter); another was 173cm with a bore of 2.3cm. At the Korean Army Museum (on the campus of the Korea Military Academy) there is a long matchlock that fits the Korean criteria for being a cheonbochong (minimum of 10cm longer than a common 120cm matchlock), as it is about 135cm overall length with a bore of 15mm. I've seen--and even held--that one many times. Next week, I plan to visit a university museum here in Korea that has a cheonbochong, although quite a light one: 138.5cm overall length (barrel length 103.5cm), 15mm bore and 3.5kg weight.

What about the long Tanegashima? I have one of Shigeo Sugawa's books and it shows several Tanegashima well over 130cm (although most had a slightly smaller bore than their Korean counterparts). Was there a named class of matchlock for the longer ones, such as the Koreans calling theirs cheonbochong? Did they have a special purpose? Are there any records regarding effective range or maximum range? Thanks for any info.

Thomas

Yes, Thomas, the 'Hazama-zutsu', or castle/ship slit/port guns, were mostly found in the the country of Awa in Shikoku, so when one thinks of Awa-ju, the image is of a long and heavy Hazama-zutsu, with a rather small bore. They tend to have sights that can be adjusted, but most have lost these, with only the sight base remaining. The Lord Hachisuka of that Tokushima area is said to have set up targets and gathered up the people to have regular shooting exhibitions within the castle, (accuracy being considered better achieved with a longer gun).

As to statistics, I will go and have a look.

Thanks for the information about the Korean Cheonbochong. Look forward to the pics!

Dear Thomas,

Shigeo Sugawa refers to these types as " Loop Hole " guns or ( Hazama Guns ), ... and goes on to say they were used primarily from Fortresses, and from Ships. In practical application there reaches a point at which a longer barrel does not increase velocity nor accuracy. There is validity in a RIFLED barrel that more length gives greater accuracy, .... but this reaches a point of no appreciable difference.

These being smoothbore guns, ... any increase in range or accuracy would be negligible. The psychological boost to the shooter would with these guns be the only real advantage. I have no knowledge of any specific tables regarding ranges nor effectivity, although I am sure someone will have produced such technical data ( it would have to be to a specific caliber and gun ... only barrels otherwise identical but for length would suffice, .... and this was an impossibility with the manufacturing technology and precision of the times these guns were in use ).

... Ron Watson

NOTE: When fired, the bullet sits at the front of a mass of fast moving gas that all the sudden shoves the bullet down the barrel....but it's powder is burning ( producing gas ) at a timed pace so the bullet (the pressure behind it) is doing a rapidly accelerated movement until the forces equalize behind it and it begins to move at a steady rate.

Physically speaking, as in the science of physics, once a bullet reaches its state of equalized pressure inside the barrel, any excess barrel is totally useless. Having said that, ... the further the distance between front and rear sight ... the more accurate the rifle as the angle of error keeps decreasing as the distance between front and rear sight increases.

Yes, Thomas, the 'Hazama-zutsu', or castle/ship slit/port guns, were mostly found in the the country of Awa in Shikoku, so when one thinks of Awa-ju, the image is of a long and heavy Hazama-zutsu, with a rather small bore. They tend to have sights that can be adjusted, but most have lost these, with only the sight base remaining. The Lord Hachisuka of that Tokushima area is said to have set up targets and gathered up the people to have regular shooting exhibitions within the castle, (accuracy being considered better achieved with a longer gun).

As to statistics, I will go and have a look.

Thaks for the information about the Korean Cheonbochong. Look forward to the pics!

Thanks for the information, Piers :)

Dear Thomas,

Shigeo Sugawa refers to these types as " Loop Hole " guns or ( Hazama Guns ), ... and goes on to say they were used primarily from Fortresses, and from Ships. In practical application there reaches a point at which a longer barrel does not increase velocity nor accuracy. There is validity in a RIFLED barrel that more length gives greater accuracy, .... but this reaches a point of no appreciable difference.

These being smoothbore guns, ... any increase in range or accuracy would be negligible. The psychological boost to the shooter would with these guns be the only real advantage. I have no knowledge of any specific tables regarding ranges nor effectivity, although I am sure someone will have produced such technical data ( it would have to be to a specific caliber and gun ... only barrels otherwise identical but for length would suffice, .... and this was an impossibility with the manufacturing technology and precision of the times these guns were in use ).

... Ron Watson

NOTE: When fired, the bullet sits at the front of a mass of fast moving gas that all the sudden shoves the bullet down the barrel....but it's powder is burning ( producing gas ) at a timed pace so the bullet (the pressure behind it) is doing a rapidly accelerated movement until the forces equalize behind it and it begins to move at a steady rate.

Physically speaking, as in the science of physics, once a bullet reaches its state of equalized pressure inside the barrel, any excess barrel is totally useless. Having said that, ... the further the distance between front and rear sight ... the more accurate the rifle as the angle of error keeps decreasing as the distance between front and rear sight increases.

Thanks, also, Ron--much appreciated :)

I'm familiar with the limitations of a long barrel, being a muzzleloading--and black powder cartridge--shooter myself. In the case of black powder musket shooting, related to what you said, the longer barrel on a smoothbore gives a chance for larger amounts of the powder to burn; whereas, in the case of a relatively short barrel, if one were to put a large amount of powder in it, much of it would be unburned and wasted--the long barrel is helpful in burning a relatively large amount of powder. However, with rifling, long barrels (and excess powder) aren't needed quite as much; take for instance the comparison between the Remington rolling block .50-45 cal. carbine and the .45 cal. Korean matchlock--140 years ago this weekend, Koreans and Americans were pitted against each other and the RRB had no problems with the 150m distance between the American and Korean troops by the main fortress. On the other hand, the Korean matchlocks, according to US records, were more a nuisance than anything else when their spent roundballs hit the hill the Americans were on. I've had several historical land surveys to the area and have collected many relics, which show that to be the case.

Personally, I enjoy big black powder guns and am interested in their uses, accuracy and limitations :D

Thomas

Thomas, it has also been said that Hazama zutsu, (guns fired from the Sama, or Ha-zama) were trained on attacking troops massed on the opposite shore of the castle moat. The idea was that, at that range, you cannot guarantee to kill any one person but you can seriously wound someone within the mass.

Four or five of those around the wounded ashigaru would then be removed from the fight as they carried him back and out of the fighting.

Ron, thanks for the technical back-up. I was aware that increased length of a smoothbore barrel does not really improve accuracy, but in those days it was the received wisdom and the driving force behind longer gun barrels, I believe.

Thomas, it has also been said that Hazama zutsu, (guns fired from the Sama, or Ha-zama) were trained on attacking troops massed on the opposite shore of the castle moat. The idea was that, at that range, you cannot guarantee to kill any one person but you can seriously wound someone within the mass.

Four or five of those around the wounded ashigaru would then be removed from the fight as they carried him back and out of the fighting.

Ron, thanks for the technical back-up. I was aware that increased length of a smoothbore barrel does not really improve accuracy, but in those days it was the received wisdom and the driving force behind longer gun barrels, I believe.

Piers or Ron,

What are the Chinese characters for that type of gun? In Korean, a loophole is called a chongan (銃眼--"gun eye").

Yes, it is true that smoothbore muskets were best used against masses of troops. I believe the cheonbochong was intended that way at long distances, as the two main things the Korean developers did was to reduce its weight for portability and improve its maximum distance capability (that's what was recorded in the 朝鮮王朝實錄); actually, nothing is mentioned there about accuracy--effective range is just out of personal curiosity. :)

Thomas

Sawada Sensei uses the word 'distance' shooting when describing long guns for sharp shooting, or target practice. (Just been doing some reading up.) Perhaps the effective range was 'the width of a moat' ? :roll: How long is a piece of string and how wide is a moat? It must also depend partly on the quality and amount of powder you pour in before the ball....

狭間筒Hazama-zutsu is the usual word to describe these guns, and although the loop hole in the castle wall is usually described as 狭間 Hazama, in the blurb for Hikone Castle they call them simply Sama さま. The mini long guns are about 130 cm long, bigger ones go up to 2 meters in length. I also read an explanation that the size of a ricefield stretching from the castle walls was called a Hazama. (Think feudal serfs' fields.)

Sawada Sensei is puzzled by the weight of these guns, and the large quantity of iron needed to create one, and then by the very small caliber. He says none of it makes sense, but there are surprisingly large numbers of Awa-zutsu Hazama guns in existence. Was it a fashion?

My private theory which has not been tested or thrown around yet, and may be way off the mark, is that the Lord Hachizuka (said to have loved guns) called all his best gunners into the castle to be aware of who was good, and keep potential enemies close at hand. Large unwieldy guns could not be easily or rapidly swung round to cause trouble or to assassinate him, and even if they had managed such, the caliber would ensure no-one was killed. (Think fairground guns...)

(Please ignore this last paragraph as necessary, but I will be testing this idea on some of my fellow 'experts' very shortly, and report back.)

Sawada Sensei uses the word 'distance' shooting when describing long guns for sharp shooting, or target practice. (Just been doing some reading up.) Perhaps the effective range was 'the width of a moat' ? :roll: How long is a piece of string and how wide is a moat? It must also depend partly on the quality and amount of powder you pour in before the ball....

狭間筒Hazama-zutsu is the usual word to describe these guns, and although the loop hole in the castle wall is usually described as 狭間 Hazama, in the blurb for Hikone Castle they call them simply Sama さま. The mini long guns are about 130 cm long, bigger ones go up to 2 meters in length. I also read an explanation that the size of a ricefield stretching from the castle walls was called a Hazama. (Think feudal serfs' fields.)

Sawada Sensei is puzzled by the weight of these guns, and the large quantity of iron needed to create one, and then by the very small caliber. He says none of it makes sense, but there are surprisingly large numbers of Awa-zutsu Hazama guns in existence. Was it a fashion?

Thanks for the info! It's very interesting. 狭間筒 is hyeopgantong in Korean ("narrow space tube"? "Narrow space" does seem to describe a loophole).

My private theory which has not been tested or thrown around yet, and may be way off the mark, is that the Lord Hachizuka (said to have loved guns) called all his best gunners into the castle to be aware of who was good, and keep potential enemies close at hand. Large unwieldy guns could not easily be swung rapidly round to cause trouble or to assassinate him, and even if they managed such, the caliber would ensure no-one was killed. (Think fairground guns...)

(Please ignore this last paragraph as necessary, but I will be testing this idea on some of my fellow 'experts' very shortly, and report back.)

:shock: Tell them to be ready to take cover! :shock: ;)

Thomas

My very first gun was a baby Hazama from Awa. The quality of the steel was not good, but the wood of the stock was wonderful. Most Awa guns have tiger stripes burnt into them artificially, but mine had natural tiger's eye Mokume patterns in the wood, polished up rather like a sword blade.

I never fired that gun, but it was such a pleasure to bring it out and hold it, the long dead-straight smooth stock taking me straight back to the original craftsman who fashioned it. The woodwork alone engendered something like love in my heart!

The barrel was created in the Awa style by Yamada Gohei, a Settsu gunsmith, probably in Awa, considering the quality of the iron.

Well, my wife and I took a trip to a university museum a couple hours' drive from here. They have a long matchlock in their collection and I arranged to inspect it. We had a great time and the staff was really kind and patient. It isn't an extremely large one, but it fits the general Korean criteria for being a "cheonbochong". The third picture down is the mark the Joseon gov't put on military matchlocks, which indicates it came from the "Hunryeondogam" (訓鍊都監).

Here are its specs:

138cm/54" Overall Length

103cm/40.55" Barrel Length

13.7mm/.54" Bore Diameter

~5.8mm/.23" Wall Thickness

3.5kg/7.72lb. Weight

260279_10150213333657045_625267044_7487468_2657036_n.jpg

254488_10150213333717045_625267044_7487469_5856090_n.jpg

264454_10150213333777045_625267044_7487470_1152880_n.jpg

262247_10150213333847045_625267044_7487471_7152637_n.jpg

254042_10150213333862045_625267044_7487472_4385741_n.jpg

248901_10150213334222045_625267044_7487483_810936_n.jpg

Dear Thomas,

To me at least this gun has all the features and apperance of being Japanese in origin. Note the overall stock shape, ... the rear sight, ... the ball type trigger, ... the shape of the flashpan, shape of the butt. It would be virtually ( without handling it in person ) to me at least be of Japanese manufacture. If this is of Korean manufacture, ... well then they had a Japanese Tanegashima possibly of KISHU to act as a pattern. Did it have an outside or internal main spring ?? In any event the poor bloody thing is in need of some tender loving care and/or in ( my opinion ) past any hope of reserection. Your opinion Piers ??

... Ron Watson

PS: Thomas why the white gloves, ... disease prevention ?? My sarcasim has a purpose ( not to hurt or belittle you ), ... although this gun may have been acquired in terrible condition, .... I see nothing that the " Institution " has done in the way of even minimal conservation. Let this act as a " heads up " to anyone planing on bequething ANY artifact to an Institution. I have all too often seen storerooms in museums with wonderful objects that the benefactor thought would be cared for or under the misleading understanding displayed for public viewing. In most cases the object simply becomes part of the UNUSED inventory of these usually " Government owned " treasure houses ... more often than not gathering dust and rust.

Thanks for the pictures and description, Thomas.

Well, naturally it does look like a Japanese matchlock, and yes, it needs some TLC. (Some of the very earliest examples of Japanese Tanegashima are also in bad condition, of course.)

This gun is a long gun, admittedly, but it does not have the feeling of a Hazama gun to it. But then again it is too long to be carried around on a battlefield and would need something to rest upon when aiming. Hazama have a very flat stock underneath for resting on a surface, not rounded for carrying in the hands. Did the sights look as though they had extensions on them at one time?

I remember seeing a 'Korean' matchlock in the museum in Nishino-Omote City on the Island of Tanegashima and it had the same overall brown and unkempt look to it. At the time I wondered how they knew it was Korean, and what the distinguishing features were, if any. I would be interested to know which guns were captured from the Japanese and kept in service there, and which were manufactured in Korea. The mark on the top of the barrel, exactly where a Mon might be expected, is also interesting but from that picture I cannot make it out. Joseon practice range mark?

There is also some design on the butt.

All, Two things strike me as appearing from the photos to be different from a Japanese gun: the 'jaws' of the serpentine look different to those of a Japanese gun - looking rather taller and different in shape. There is also a hole or depression on the back side of the stock near the butt that seems to have no corresponding rivet or pin on the front face. Just what it is I cannot imagine. Having said that, the barrel mark does look like a kamon in silver overlay that has been heavily eroded by rust. I thought I could see a torii but that is probably my imagination.

Ian Bottomley

Dear Ian,

1. The hole or depression at the back of the stock is in the identical position of the Japanese ( match holder/or match extinquisher ) except it has either lost or never had a brass decoration around it. ( actually probably lost as I think I can faintly make out a discoloured ring mark on the wood about the correct size ).

2. Indeed the inlay decoration on top of the barrel does look like it was at least once a Kamon both in position and style. It may have been modified to some Korean kanji or owner mark. I would bet however that it at least once was a Japanese Kamon.

3. I can agree that the Serpentine is somewhat different from the normal Japanese configuration, ... but only the jaw shape. This may well be a replacement serpentine or a Japanese Serpentine later modified by the Koreans.

In my opinion this matchlock is 99 44/100 % Japanese, .... and in dispicable condition given that it has not seen even a minimal of care by the Institution in whos hands it resides.

... Ron Watson

Dear Thomas,

To me at least this gun has all the features and apperance of being Japanese in origin. Note the overall stock shape, ... the rear sight, ... the ball type trigger, ... the shape of the flashpan, shape of the butt. It would be virtually ( without handling it in person ) to me at least be of Japanese manufacture. If this is of Korean manufacture, ... well then they had a Japanese Tanegashima possibly of KISHU to act as a pattern. Did it have an outside or internal main spring ?? In any event the poor bloody thing is in need of some tender loving care and/or in ( my opinion ) past any hope of reserection. Your opinion Piers ??

... Ron Watson

PS: Thomas why the white gloves, ... disease prevention ?? My sarcasim has a purpose ( not to hurt or belittle you ), ... although this gun may have been acquired in terrible condition, .... I see nothing that the " Institution " has done in the way of even minimal conservation. Let this act as a " heads up " to anyone planing on bequething ANY artifact to an Institution. I have all too often seen storerooms in museums with wonderful objects that the benefactor thought would be cared for or under the misleading understanding displayed for public viewing. In most cases the object simply becomes part of the UNUSED inventory of these usually " Government owned " treasure houses ... more often than not gathering dust and rust.

Ron,

The reason for its features and appearance is that Koreans copied the Japanese as exact as possible. The first Japanese matchlocks came to Korea a few years before the Imjin (Hideyoshi) War, but Koreans paid little to no attention to them at that time; it wasn't until the invasion that they realized the importance of personal, mobile firearms (they were quite adept at making and using cannon, but the bow was their projectile weapon of choice at the end of the 16th century). At that point, Koreans tried to duplicate captured Tanegashima, but with little success and poor quality. Over the years, they learned more about them (from Japanese prisoners and other sources). It wasn't until the 17th century that Korean proficiency at making matchlocks had improved. However, after that point, as recorded in the Annals of Joseon Kings (AJK), Koreans even exported a large number to China. Yes, during the Imjin War, Koreans used a lot of captured Tanegashima, but, after their manufacturing methods had improved, they made their own. There are many mentions in the AJK regarding their manufacture and use (including one time where a person in charge of their manufacture presented a less-than-perfect example to the king and was exiled for his trouble).

At one point, gov't corruption became so bad that the structure in which the matchlocks were produced was changed. Every village was required to maintain an armory and they bought their matchlocks through the gov't channel. The officials at the top skimmed the profits and required villages buy more matchlocks even though their armories were full. The villagers ended up selling older matchlocks to afford the new ones. Their complaints about the practice were finally heard and a system was devised where each region would have its own manufacturing facility, which took the monopoly out of the corrupt officials' hands.

This particular matchlock had an external mainspring (missing), which is the style Koreans used for nearly three hundred years.

The reason for the gloves is that Korean institutions require it to handle any items in their inventories. You are correct that this one saw many better days. The museum did not have firearms on display and, in fact, have few in storage at all; besides the matchlock, they have a few "handgonne" tubes. All are in storage. It is true what you said about many items that come into museums' hands going into unused inventory; I have seen this many times myself (I'll post some pictures later).

Thomas

Thanks for the pictures and description, Thomas.

Well, naturally it does look like a Japanese matchlock, and yes, it needs some TLC. (Some of the very earliest examples of Japanese Tanegashima are also in bad condition, of course.)

This gun is a long gun, admittedly, but it does not have the feeling of a Hazama gun to it. But then again it is too long to be carried around on a battlefield and would need something to rest upon when aiming. Hazama have a very flat stock underneath for resting on a surface, not rounded for carrying in the hands. Did the sights look as though they had extensions on them at once time?

I remember seeing a 'Korean' matchlock in the museum in Nishino-Omote City on the Island of Tanegashima and it had the same overall brown and unkempt look to it. At the time I wondered how they knew it was Korean, and what the distinguishing features were, if any. I would be interested to know which guns were captured from the Japanese and kept in service there, and which were manufactured in Korea. The mark on the top of the barrel, exactly where a Mon might be expected, is also interesting but from that picture I cannot make it out. Joseon practice range mark?

There is also some design on the butt.

Piers,

Here is a view showing the rear sight.

cbc14.jpg

Here are views of the butt.

cbc3.jpg

cbc11.jpg

cbc15.jpg

cbc17.jpg

The mark, as mentioned in my first post yesterday, is for the "Hunryeondogam" (訓鍊都監), which oversaw the production of military matchlocks.

Thomas

Dear Ian,

1. The hole or depression at the back of the stock is in the identical position of the Japanese ( match holder/or match extinquisher ) except it has either lost or never had a brass decoration around it. ( actually probably lost as I think I can faintly make out a discoloured ring mark on the wood about the correct size ).

2. Indeed the inlay decoration on top of the barrel does look like it was at least once a Kamon both in position and style. It may have been modified to some Korean kanji or owner mark. I would bet however that it at least once was a Japanese Kamon.

3. I can agree that the Serpentine is somewhat different from the normal Japanese configuration, ... but only the jaw shape. This may well be a replacement serpentine or a Japanese Serpentine later modified by the Koreans.

In my opinion this matchlock is 99 44/100 % Japanese, .... and in dispicable condition given that it has not seen even a minimal of care by the Institution in whos hands it resides.

... Ron Watson

Ron,

I've probably answered most of your observations above, but I'll comment once again just for clarity.

1. Koreans copied the practical aspects of the Tanegashima as exact as possible. However, one outstanding feature of most Korean-made matchlocks is their utilitarianism; they lacked the artistry of their Japanese counterparts. Also, as the gunmakers were gov't servants and not private artisans, they did not sign their work; the barrels are unsigned, as are the stocks--the only marks you will find will be like that I mentioned above.

2. Mentioned above.

3. It looked more like the serpentine had been repaired at some point.

The matchlock is Japanese in appearance, but Korean in origin. I do agree with its condition (which is how the museum received it).

Thomas,

You say : " At one point, gov't corruption became so bad that the structure in which the matchlocks were produced was changed. Every village was required to maintain an armory and they bought their matchlocks through the gov't channel. The officials at the top skimmed the profits and required villages buy more matchlocks even though their armories were full. The villagers ended up selling older matchlocks to afford the new ones. Their complaints about the practice were finally heard and a system was devised where each region would have its own manufacturing facility, which took the monopoly out of the corrupt officials' hands. "

Sounds like things never change ... " gov't corruption ", .... only the name of the Party in power ever changes. Politics and Bureaucrats are the two most obscene words in ANY language.

In response to : " The Matchlock is Japanese in appearance, but Korean in origin " ..... sort of like building Nissan cars in Detroit or worse yet ... Nihonto in China !

... Ron Watson

Thomas,

You say : " At one point, gov't corruption became so bad that the structure in which the matchlocks were produced was changed. Every village was required to maintain an armory and they bought their matchlocks through the gov't channel. The officials at the top skimmed the profits and required villages buy more matchlocks even though their armories were full. The villagers ended up selling older matchlocks to afford the new ones. Their complaints about the practice were finally heard and a system was devised where each region would have its own manufacturing facility, which took the monopoly out of the corrupt officials' hands. "

Sounds like things never change ... " gov't corruption ", .... only the name of the Party in power ever changes. Politics and Bureaucrats are the two most obscene words in ANY language.

In response to : " The Matchlock is Japanese in appearance, but Korean in origin " ..... sort of like building Nissan cars in Detroit or worse yet ... Nihonto in China !

... Ron Watson

Hehehe, Ron--Ain't it the truth! :laughabove: :glee:

Thomas

Dear Thomas,

In passing, .... I am delighted you did not take offence to my criticisms/observations, ... I also would like to thank you for bringing these Korean Matchlock's to everyone's attention ( and especially mine ). It is the supreme source of knowledge ... SHARING ... :clap: One of the most wonderful aspects of the NMB and it's members is the free sharing of knowledge. Your contribution by bringing these little known firearms to forefront for our greater understanding is appreciated. I learned much today and for that I am as we all are indebted to you and your photos and explanations. I don't often take my hat off to others in the field of firearms, .... but in this case I feel I must. Again thank you for bringing these examples to our attention.

... Ron Watson

I was going to say something similar to Ron above, but I am glad he said it first ...

and better than I could have. This is a grey area where there is little information and

we have just shared a quite illustrative chunk of it. :clap:

PS Those new pics are good. There are several small differences in furniture around the pan/lid area.

Dear Thomas,

In passing, .... I am delighted you did not take offence to my criticisms/observations, ... I also would like to thank you for bringing these Korean Matchlock's to everyone's attention ( and especially mine ). It is the supreme source of knowledge ... SHARING ... :clap: One of the most wonderful aspects of the NMB and it's members is the free sharing of knowledge. Your contribution by bringing these little known firearms to forefront for our greater understanding is appreciated. I learned much today and for that I am as we all are indebted to you and your photos and explanations. I don't often take my hat off to others in the field of firearms, .... but in this case I feel I must. Again thank you for bringing these examples to our attention.

... Ron Watson

Dear Ron,

Like you, I am always happy to learn something new and rarely take offense to others' criticisms and observations (the exception being, if such criticisms and observations were intended to offend--definitely not the case on this board). The reason I first sought out the NMB was precisely to gain different perspectives on a nearly identical type of firearm. An important point being that Koreans' knowledge of their firearms history is incomplete; the Japanese matchlock experience, which is still active today--as is evidenced in such things as this forum--is a good analog to consider when researching Korean matchlock history. Ironically, Koreans lost their matchlock knowledge after the Japanese started instituting--along with Western countries--modernization, including the introduction of cartridge firearms towards the end of the 19th century.

Even though Korea and Japan have historically often been--and sometimes still are--at odds with each other, Korean scholars readily admit their matchlocks' Japanese lineage. It's really unfortunate that they don't retain the related traditions about them that are still observed in Japan. It's interesting that, although Japanese gun laws are seemingly more restrictive than those here in Korea, there is an active muzzleloading association in Japan, but most Koreans, including those who understand firearms, don't know what "muzzleloading" even means. Koreans know modern firearms well, as every able-bodied male must serve in the military (and the Korean firearms industry produces some world-class weapons), but they have a lack of knowledge about traditional firearms. The only black powder firearms they have put a lot of effort into researching have been cannon and rockets. When I took my repro matchlock, along with an original Japanese barrel and stock (which may be either Korean or Japanese) to the Korea Military Academy last month (I gave a lecture to cadets on the Westernization of Asia), the faculty and museum staff were amazed; they also had me explain the use of the matchlock. This fall, when I come back from summer break in the States, the KMA wants me to return to show faculty and staff how to fire the musket; according to them, it will probably be the first time in modern history that Korean army officers have ever fired a matchlock :)

That is where I believe Korea and Japan can further connect with each other. The group decided they would like to establish a muzzleloading association here in Korea, with the KMA being the nucleus of the movement. They asked me about getting their own repro matchlock they could use, which I will help them with. However--and this is just my thought at the moment--they will need help and guidance as to organizing, training and gaining gov't acceptance of the idea; I believe, as Japan has already crossed those hurdles, that a fledgling organization here in Korea could benefit from the experience of its Japanese counterparts. Again, the last part is just my idea, but I think it is reasonable and could foster a spirit of cooperation between the two countries. Just a thought.

Thomas

A bajo-zutsu with a touch of Tabuse-Ryu? Now that is embarrassingly bad :rotfl:

but in comparison most existing Korean ones will look good, even without any TLC... 8)

Piers,

Unfortunately, I don't know what Tabuse-Ryu is, although I can guess that bajo-zutsu refers to the type of arm. I look forward to the education as to what the one thing is and why it is bad when combined with the other :)

Thomas

The combination is not bad, Thomas. The rear tip of the 'jigane' metal plate behind the lock is shaped into

a Fleur-de-Lys, one of the pointers for the Tabuse School of Gunnery, one of the main streams. There are

rumours that the founder may have travelled and learnt gunnery in Europe before guns found their way to

the Island of Tanegashima.

A Bajou-zutsu 馬上筒 literally means a horseback gun. Short, but not as short as a Tanzutsu 短筒 or pistol.

The combination is not bad, Thomas. The rear tip of the 'jigane' metal plate behind the lock is shaped into

a Fleur-de-Lys, one of the pointers for the Tabuse School of Gunnery, one of the main streams. There are

rumours that the founder may have travelled and learnt gunnery in Europe before guns found their way to

the Island of Tanegashima.

OK, I understand now :)

A Bajou-zutsu 馬上筒 literally means a horseback gun. Short, but not as short as a Tanzutsu 短筒 or pistol.

According to records, Koreans used them, too, but there are no examples extant, as far as I know. Their name was almost the same: 馬上銃 (masangchong). They also have the term 短銃 (danchong), meaning "pistol" (literally, "short gun").

Thomas

Thomas, Thank you for the new pictures, particularly that of the barrel marking. Having now a complete example I can see the same shapes in that on the original gun you illustrate. I can also see the differences in the pan cover between the Korean and Japanese guns that Piers points out. As Ron so correctly says, guns from the two cultures are so amazingly similar that it makes you wonder how many guns around the world, at present thought to be Japanese, are in fact Korean. If each village had an armoury stocked with guns, it seems inevitable that some have survived and are now unrecognised for what they really are. Plenty of Korean helmets were brought back as trophies and were incorporated by the Japanese into their armours. Perhaps they brought back guns as well.

Ian B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..