2012 Tampa Japanese Sword Show

Thanks. the tsuba alone looks worth the price; and with with rest a matching theme.... super! what are menuki, as far as you can see [i know you are not going to unwrap the tsuka, like a friend did his --the ito was frayed, and he did re-wrap it later, but....].

I think you got a good deal. I bet they paid $50

doug

Hi Howard, During your discussions afterwards did you happen to find out which generation of Katsukuni your sword was perhaps made by? The fittings are classic Mino-bori and it is very good to have a signed example, Mitsunaka second half of 17th cent. I have a soft spot for that type of tosougu. All in all, a nice 'pick'. John

Super! can't quite see what those menuke are, but I guess they would follow the crane theme [am i right here??] on the rest of the koshira.

I hope it is in good enough condition -- you know, no deep chips, rust, 2 cm. off the kissaki --- to justify a polish. And if you need a new shirasaya I can refer you to a 30 yr. man in Pasadena, CA. I think he has done work for NBM members, but it would up to him to discuss former clients or not. Probably get it done faster than Fred in SF [nothing on Fred Weisberg, just he is busy].

anyway --- great find. I got start checking out yard sales and out of the way antiques shops up here in the Hgh Mojave Desert; might get lucky like you.

doug

Since this sword has been neglected since it left Japan I'm finding clove oil and uchiko are making a big difference everytime I clean it and more details are showing up each time. It's rewarding to see the blade respond and come back to life.

Howard Dennis

Once again, Excellent Show! My table was directly accross some great nihonto eye candy on Bob Benson's table. I got to drool over some incredible stuff while there... Niji Kunitoshi, Tokobetsu Juyo Rai, 2 Osafune Kanemitsu. Ted Tenold also had the goods; Ichimonji, Yamato Shizu Kaneuji, Motoshige...

The shinsa went well for me with 5/6 items accepted. I heard some complaints about it, but the best response I heard was, "the guys judging the stuff know a hell of a lot more than the guys selling the stuff", or something like that.

Overall, I ended up spending more than I made, but it was a great time. I picked up a Kanabo Naginata and some other stuff I really like.

Jon

• 4 months later...

Hi Howard D.,

I haven't received any shinsa paper from 2012 Tampa show. I submitted a tsuba in person and it passed and will get a Kanteisho paper (i.e. points score >= 70). Tom H. would be the person to contact about papers.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

All -

We appreciate your patience, just heard from the Japan side today and the certificates are done and on their way stateside. Once I have them they will be sorted and mailed out to individual owners. I know it seems a long time but six months is not unusual and at this point we are right on schedule. Please bear with us a little longer and everyone's papers should be in hand before you know it.

-t

• 3 weeks later...

Once again we wish to thank all for their patience -

The first batch of certificates were sent out yesterday via registered mail. If I get out of the office on time today the rest will be sent out this afternoon. Regardless all certificates will be on their way to their owners by week's end. We thank you all for your support of the NTHK and wish you evermore success in your studies of the beautiful nihonto.

-tch

Thanks to everyone for their support at this year's 2012 NTHK Tampa Shinsa!

All certificates have been mailed and unless you live in Finland you should have you papers by Tuesday!

We have also updated the webpages and galleries on our website - do take the time to check it out;

http://www.toryu-mon.com

Next up, 2012 NCJSC To-ken Taikai - http://www.ncjsc.org

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..