Need help identifying a wakizashi

flemming7x64

Hello and goodday to everyone out there, here from Scandinavia!

Since I´m new to collecting Japanese swords my knowledge of the same is ditto(though I try hard to watch, read and hopefully learn).

With this message I was hoping some might help me out identifying a wakizashi, I recently bought. I realize it´s not a "million-dollar-sword"(and that it also needs a good, professional polish), but to me it obviously means a lot though.

As mentioned I know nothing of the sword besides that it was captured during WW II, and brought back to the States by a gentleman vet. It seems as if it´s a lot older though(seems at least the upper tang has been filed/changed sometime in history - 18th/19th century?). It also appears to be signed - please see attached photos).

I would really appreciate any kind of help.

With thanks and appreciation for your time and effort

Best regards

Flemming

post-2728-14196802827555_thumb.jpg

post-2728-14196802831138_thumb.jpg

post-2728-14196802836234_thumb.jpg

post-2728-14196802838408_thumb.jpg

post-2728-14196802840459_thumb.jpg

It looks like a very crude shortened wakizashi, made either from a broken katana or longer wakizashi.

You're not going to be able to judge school, smith, etc from the blade in its current condition.

The blade itself is not worth restoring, in my opinion.

If this sword means a lot to you, and, as you say, you've been trying hard to study and read up on the subject, I suggest you don't hang it upside down from a steel nail on your wall.

It looks like a very crude shortened wakizashi, made either from a broken katana or longer wakizashi.

You're not going to be able to judge school, smith, etc from the blade in its current condition.

The blade itself is not worth restoring, in my opinion.

If this sword means a lot to you, and, as you say, you've been trying hard to study and read up on the subject, I suggest you don't hang it upside down from a steel nail on your wall.

No, you are quite right! Hanging it from a nail was only to be able to take decent photos from it.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards

Flemming

A table and soft cloth or paper would be better for taking pictures. Next time... ;)

Looking more at the shape of the nakago, perhaps it was altered to fit later police or military sword mounts.

The mark/character on your tang maybe an identifier whilst in the armoury to keep blade and fittings together while being worked on.

Pure speculation on my part - the tang shape reminded me of this thread - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10246&p=85747&hilit=police#p85747

Even if this were the case and you have a traditional blade altered to fit military/police fittings, I still don't think the blade looks worthy of major restoration. The kissaki geometry looks altered, the cutting edge seems wavy - indicating bad polishing, the nakago is, sorry to be frank, unsightly...

I still think you're looking at the top section of a katana, so at the least you probably have a traditionally made blade and not a modern fake.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..