What are your favorite fittings?

raven2

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the late Edo a group of the Tosa Myochin smiths went to Edo to study with the Akasaka masters and their works are strongly influenced by the Akasaka and Higo school.

This Tosa Myochin Tsuba has hakogaki by dr. K.Torigoye.

How about a kamakiri? http://tsanda.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/mantis21.jpg

I would say neither and all to be honest :) and just call it an obscure motif.

I think the design, which is quite unusual would place it mid Muromachi at a guess...

Nice tsuba.

It seems that in additon to sharing the same last name, Henry also has great taste, Mantis (kamakiri) rule!!!!!!!!! Okay, I may be biased but I am the Mantis Dude after-all. Here is one that I wish I owned an inspite of trying to find the owner I never was able to.

From this website http://www.ncjsc.org/item_tsuba_shonai_shoami.htm

ss1-front.jpg

Trying out a new camera. Figured I'd post my favorite menuki.

Anything anyone can tell me about them would be appreciated. They're red copper with gold and silver plating. Late Edo, I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: Ok, I can see the picture doesn't do them justice. I'ma git the tripod and try again soon. Damn newfangled technology.

DSC_0213.jpg

pax.

Mikolaj, thank you for the reminder. I recall reading that but totally lost my storage and retrieval system. ;) I have seen your tsuba in Dr. Torigoye's work and one other book whose title escapses me at the moment. There is also a similar Akasaka example extant. Thanks for sharing it. :D

• 2 months later...

Dear KM,

This is an Tsuba which dates long before Nambokucho-if it may date prime Heian or Kamakura-times is actually still an question we do just to say it simple;have not enough reference-examples to compare with;so to get an certain facts-conclusion and we just can attribute it speculatively,so to answer your´s question.

It was examined from several independant to each other working curators and metallurgists till yet,equally i did contact some other personalities who all gave me their´s statement.

Yes-me,too i do love such old artifacts!

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, it's been a while since I have made a serious post here, I see some interesting items in here, even some I used to own lol. Here are my 4 current favourite items.

Ko Toshô Tonbo sukashi - early to mid Muromachi period.

Ko Kinkô Tonbo Kozuka - late Muromachi period

Ko Shôami Sukashi - Momoyama period.

Owari Sukashi - Momoyama period.

post-5-14196808320142_thumb.jpg

post-5-14196808323986_thumb.jpg

post-5-14196808326105_thumb.jpg

post-5-14196808330114_thumb.jpg

LOL, I still only see 3 of those 4, if I squint hard and take 4 extra drinks.

In regards to your tsuba, I would think it far too late to be Kamakura Bori, also, the work is all wrong. My guess would be Choushu or something similar.

Cheers

Rich

We all know that I am a relative novice when it comes to tsuba, but I am curious about Christian's very early tsuba. It shows a design clearly intended for a kozuka/kogai ana which it has. Were these complete with kozuka ana way back then?

Brian

Dear Brian,

i wish i would know and could tell...LOL!

Some(still too much)missing links and missing reference objects so to give an idea here which would sound anyways plausible i must confess.

Laugh!

Rich,

you just did post those items equally me,i would do an very hard jump to ... :) :) :) !

Let´s keep on going

Chris

Rich, I agree that Choshu would be a good school for this, and I have quite a bit of Choshu, as it's one of my favorites. My reference to Kamakura bori referred more to the art than the school. Here's a link of kamakura bori carving with a very similar design motif. As to the deck of cards, which suit can't you find without a few drinks? Cheers, Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KamakuraBori.jpg

I would not call that Kamakura bori, or anything close, jeez I love Wiki lol, that's Late Edo Kinko work of some kind.

I am not sure which card design is which on my tsuba, but there are only 3 elements, not 4 in it. Mitsukawabishi, boke (in the form of Kamon) and either Ya (arrows) or Inome or a combination of both. I'l have to check what the NBTHK thought again.

Rich

With apologies, I haven't expressed myself well twice. The wikipedia image is actually carved wood, the famous Kamakura bori art. This is what I was referring to in my initial post. I actually find Kamakura bori tsuba to be relatively crude artistically (this is a matter of taste, not anything more for you K bori lovers!). As to the four suits, the inome looks like a heart in one position and upside down looks like the spear of the spade. Again, back to the bar.....

Thanks Fred. I have had the Ko Shoami for about 2 years, the Tosho for not much less and the Owari nly for about 2 months. The Ko Shoami is published as a Nidai Tadamasa in Shumi no Tsuba - Go-hyaku Sugata by Nakamura Tessei. I agreed with the NBTHK though, with Ko Shoami.

Rich

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..