naginata

Cello

Thats a great chart!

All we need now is an english translation of all the kanji. :glee:

Yes I agree, it has all the possible parts, now if we could get translations, the yari chart is nice also, I was able to find the right names for those parts but its good to see them all in one place.

I am glad to hear that the earlier blades were not just used by women:
Here are a couple of images of samurai with naginata, the print is a wood block from an 1800s book I own, using a naginata from the back of a horse would be quite a challenge. The other picture is supposedly from the 1860s and is said to be called "estate guard". It is interesting to think that there may have been people running around with naginata in the 1800s.

100_0972.jpg

kusarikatabiraandkusarizukin.jpg

Eric, Interesting photo. Have you noticed the 'kusari trio' only have tanto / short wakizashi whilst the boss-man has a tachi / tanto combination as he should have whilst wearing armour? Not only that, but the guy on the right is in very real danger of losing his out of his obi if he's not careful. It is difficult to see, but the gent on the left seems to be wearing a kusari katabira with tsutsu kote built in. If that is what it is, it is something I haven't seen before. Also he's the only one of the trio with suneate. You live and learn.

Ian Bottomley

Ian,

I think this is one of the Felix Beato collection of photos. In that case, there is every chance the photo is posed with "props" supplied, or at least the poses are enhanced for dramatic effect. They are an outstanding collection, but not known for being 100% accurate imho.

Brian

It is said to be a Beato photo, but this one is different from the average studio ones in that it appears to have been taken outside. Of all the photos of this type there are only three that I know of that show anyone wearing kusari although period prints commonly show kusari being worn. Even in the posed photos you do see some really nice armor and weapons which more than make up for the sometimes weak poses.

samuraiwearingkusarikatabira.jpg

• 1 month later...

I hope I am not just :flog: ...

... but here's some pictures of the little souvenier from my Japan trip in May. Personally I think there are never too many pictures of naginata.

The nagasa is only 37 cm, but the motokasane is over 8 mm, and the blade feels heavy in hand. If this is what the Japanese women used for self-defence, I'll surely promise to be extremely polite and respectful towards all the lonely Japanese ladies :D

BR, Veli

post-1060-14196805890707_thumb.jpg

post-1060-14196805892523_thumb.jpg

post-1060-14196805897523_thumb.jpg

post-1060-14196805903254_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is my favorite, and one that I would sell my mother, no sister, I mean car for. A signed mid kamakura example. I love this shape. It looks Ko Bizen to me, the shinsa team have place Sanetada in the Fukuoka ichimonji ha, limited references that I have access to place him at different times 1153AD ish or 1278AD ish if I remember correctly. Apparently it is gorgeous in hand.

http://www.choshuya.co.jp/sale/sword/0904/sanetada/sanetada.htm

cheers

Rich Thomas

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..