Photo problems.

Hello all,

How do I get rid of the reflected light in photo's.

When I stand above the blade there is just a clear view ,no bright reflection.

I might be not the deepest thinker but no I'm not using the flash.

So that is out.

If I change the angle I lose the detail I'm trying to capture.

I tried Jeans trick with an LCD torch but sadly mine is the Bad kind with too much blue light so even worse.

The result achieved with this photo is done with a no heat sewing machine lamp dirrectly above the blade.

I tried different angles and background colours ,no real change :?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Moss

post-1418-14196800524786_thumb.jpg

Once I used white light bulb lamp and it worked very well.

The white natural light enlights much better than yellow light so you do not need a flash, thus no reflection problem!

It worked for me at least.

Good luck Nic!

Hi Moss,

I've been fighting this myself. I think Jeans trick used the torch in combination with his camera flash to counteract the blue effect. If you have a manual camera try slightly underexposing the shot so your flash works more as fill-in. Been working for me, I just need to get a decent macro lens. David

Hi Moss,

Now martensite crystals will be clearly visible only at illuminating angles very close to specular reflection. If you wish to maintain the reflection angle nearly constant over a long section of the blade, and simultaneously avoid directly reflected light, you should increase the distance between the light source and the blade, as well as the distance between the blade and the camera optics. Give it a try, if your optical zoom allows.

Just my 2c...

BR, Veli

Thanks All,

I will try the idea of moving the subject further away.

Looks like I will need some more lamps though to be able to flood it.

Bruno I will have to see what daylight bulbs can be bought,we seem to suffer from the govt. idea to have everyone install low watt /energy saver bulbs at home......

They are terrible to live with ,the yellow way to yellow,the white feels like in a 7/11 store.

I will try again tonight in the dark. :thanks:

Moss

Mariusz ,that PDF info you sent looks like good info and actually answers a few questions on light placement. :D :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..