Jersey shinsa show

hi milt,

so the yoshikawa group will make the trip to the us every year? i thought they only did it every other year with every 4th year coming to the ny/nj area.

eric

that's what I thought too.............the late April Chicago shinsa is a surprise to most and I am not complaining.

The Chicago show under a different management needs all the help to get on a firm footing and so far it's a success.

Shinsa show usually draws a larger than usual crowd and that's a bonus to table holders .

Milt THE ronin

that's what I thought too.............the late April Chicago shinsa is a surprise to most and I am not complaining.

The Chicago show under a different management needs all the help to get on a firm footing and so far it's a success.

Shinsa show usually draws a larger than usual crowd and that's a bonus to table holders .

Milt THE ronin

I believe Milt will be a 'copy old man'.... :lol: for the Chicago Shinsa 2007. So your guys must feed Milt....XO Cognac...and German beer the night before the Shinsa. So that way.....anyone got pink papers will be ended up with white paper and white paper will be getting pink paper.....

By the way, If Gordon reserved a special Pink paper for you Milt.....I rather not to be in the same boat with you in that case :lol:

Like Milt said, it is a very surprised to everyone. Normally, it happened every other year NTHK comes to U.S.

Too bad Milt, you don't smoke Malboro light....so I can reserved one for you with marginated with RSVP Cognac when you are going to smoke with Gordon's boss..... 8)

" RSVP Cognac " is only good for cooking.................... :badgrin:

To get back to sword related topic before more of you get " demoted " to ronin............. anyone recall who comprise the fitting shinsa team ?

I know Jim G. is one but who else ? Is that Japanese dentist on the team ? How about Hagihara sensei ?

Milt THE ( one and only , so afr ) ronin

i submitted 2 swords for shinsa and got one pink and one pass...which is better than i expected. with the trend of hte weekend i thought i was going home with 2 pink and only out $150. but i was glad to cough up the other $75.

the pass is mumei attributed to den fujiwara kanemasa (omi), kyoho period.

the pink is signed mori iye. the reason for pink is that it is determined to be mass produced and of poor quality andin poor condition, but worth preserving. there are a few open pockets on the blade, it is out of polish and there is an open layer in the hamon. however, there is utsuri running all over the blade. i had always thought utsuri is a sign of the good quality of the steel and that it is usually not found on poor qualy blades.

can anyone give some pointers?

i submitted 2 swords for shinsa and got one pink and one

the pink is signed mori iye. the reason for pink is that it is determined to be mass produced and of poor quality andin poor condition, but worth preserving. there are a few open pockets on the blade, it is out of polish and there is an open layer in the hamon. however, there is utsuri running all over the blade. i had always thought utsuri is a sign of the good quality of the steel and that it is usually not found on poor qualy blades.

can anyone give some pointers?

I had a signed late period tanto get pinked for the same reason.

In good polish, nearly flawless, old school serface chikei, and a double utsuri, with tight visable moku hada, nice tiny black nei running along the sugu hamon.

couldnt believe it. ?????? Like they hadn't even looked at it close!!

mark G

Mark,

if that's the case, you really should write Gordon robson ( he's on the shinsa team ) about it, send him some good pics to refresh his memory.

With all the swords submitted, it's possible there's a mix up .

Milt THE ronin

milt,

the possibility of a mix up sounds ominous. has this sort of mix up happened before, to anyone's recollection? if it has to any extent, then it opens up a whole mess of things.

eirc

never say never............. there's always the remote chance it could happen.

If there's serious doubt as in mark's case, it doesn't hurt to enquire as to the possibility.

When there's so many swords submitted, minor screw-ups could happen, like the copy boy ( copy old man to a few ) spotted a few work sheets with no point scores noted in previous shinsa ( duely corrected ).

milt THE ronin

Like Milt said........it is a remote chance it happened. Due to a large volume of swords submitted, there was a minor mistake in my WHITE paper where the last kanji wrote it wrong. It was corrected after I brought attention to the Shinsa team after I got home and do researched.

I don't know if anyone noticed....the White paper did not indicate if the tang is ubu, suriage or o-suriage.

RSVP cognac is not for cooking but more likely for drink dude..... :lol: :lol: Unless, you are living in a High-high class society where RSVP using for cooking......ahahahahaha

Like Milt said........it is a remote chance it happened. Due to a large volume of swords submitted, there was a minor mistake in my WHITE paper where the last kanji wrote it wrong. It was corrected after I brought attention to the Shinsa team after I got home and do researched.

I don't know if anyone noticed....the White paper did not indicate if the tang is ubu, suriage or o-suriage.

RSVP cognac is not for cooking but more likely for drink dude..... :lol: :lol: Unless, you are living in a High-high class society where RSVP using for cooking......ahahahahaha

once you have XO, there's no way you go back to RSVP........that's only good for seasoning the sauce.

Milt THE ronin

hi quang,

my white paper has the nakago shape/conditino right under the mune description. is it not on yours? and how did you get the information corrected? did you call in to someone?

eric

In my white paper, it did not indicate the tang shape like original, shorted or great shorted. The only correction I need is the attribution which the smith name is incorrectly identifited on the white paper. Other than that, then you don't need to correct anything on the white paper.

I have figured it out.

The shinsa team judged my shinshinto tanto twice. Although, I beleive they are wrong about it as well, That is what has happened with my Nobusada. It is the only likely explaination. My peeps in Japan say there is no way this sword,and mei are not good.

The pinks read nearly the same. That explains it now. two people must have mixed up the paperwork. one was looking at my shinshinto tanto when they were suposed to be looking at my Nobusada.

Just makes you wonder how well they were looking at the top of the sheets.

Does anyone have any idea of my recourse on this??

If somebody has GR's ph# would you please email it to me.

Maybe they need to slow down a bit on these things.

Mark

one time I posted someone's e-mail address on the sword list and was " chastised " soundly for that..............

may be the Daimyo ( you know who you are, the one that turned me to ronin ) or the sycophantic moderator can supply you with Gordon's e-mail address off line ?

Milt THE ronin

Thanks Milt,

My mail address is on the profile pg. If anyone can help.

I plan to write the shinsa orginizers as well.

Makes me wonder about any paper that came out of that room now.

I blame myself for not catching this right away, but with all the bad opionions that we saw, I was just blown away. I just today looked closely at the papers again. And that mixup is exactly what happened. And both guys got the mei wrong on the darn Tanto.

unreal!!!

Here is my nobusada, how many here, think this is a yokohama export.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f380/ ... C-012F.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f380/markisit/z11.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f380/markisit/z12.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f380/markisit/z13.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f380/markisit/z9.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f380/markisit/z7.jpg

Mark G

may be the Daimyo ( you know who you are, the one that turned me to ronin ) or the sycophantic moderator can supply you with Gordon's e-mail address off line ?

You do have the private message function on this board too :roll:

Just click the PM button below their name, and send it as a normal private message. Easy, no?

I don't have a problem with emails being posted, but I think the owner of the email might have a problem with his email being posted publicly, so let's use the pm function if there is any doubt at all.

Brian

Hi Mark, I think if you have a genuine grievance, then I am sure Gordon will be only too happy to help you resolve it. The NTHK website is not functioning at present due to a hack, but Gordon's email address is robsongo@swu.ac.jp. He is happy to field questions.

Also if you and your Japanese contacts are so sure these swords are correct, then I would suggest sending the swords to the NBTHK for a second opinion, and maybe the NTHK NPO for a third. It is really your only option. Or, just believe them to be correct and leave it at that.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

I am in contact with the NYC club as well.

That is exactly what has happened. They mixed up the papers some how and looked at my Tanto twice. The papers read exactly the same.

The Nobusada didn't even get looked at. Or if it did, it is on someone elses paper.

I'm more that a bit worried about this whole shinsa.

Thanks for the info, Mark

Thanks Rich,

I am in contact with the NYC club as well.

That is exactly what has happened. They mixed up the papers some how and looked at my Tanto twice. The papers read exactly the same.

The Nobusada didn't even get looked at. Or if it did, it is on someone elses paper.

I'm more that a bit worried about this whole shinsa.

Thanks for the info, Mark

Mark,

What date are you submitted your shinsa? I submitted mine on Friday around 11 A.M.

Saterday at 10am

Mark,

Well....maybe it is too early in the U.S. without coffee or it is too late at night in Japan so the judge might be sleeping while kantei your sword. :lol:

Like I said before, One of my results was incorrectly stated of the smith name so the era estimates does change with that too. :D

I hope it will turn out great for you or you can submitted again in Chicago free of charge..... :D

Milt,

Any idea (guess, hunch, rumor, etc) when the Chicago shinsa will start to take reservations? I know we just had the NY shinsa, but I'm already looking forward to the next one. :D

DaveF.

there will be plenty of time for that.............most likely table reservation will start around Florida show in Feb. and I assume shinsa reservation will begin concurrently.

Milt THE ronin

• 3 years later...

Joining the NCJSC gives new members a copy of the NTHK novice course which has an extensive article on Shinsa by Dr Gordon Robson. This is a good read and can be quite helpful also for those interested.

Rich

Is there a possibility to get this NTHK Novice Course in paper form or as .pdf file without to join the NTHK? 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..