Star Stamped Sword Gassan Sadakatsu Rikugun Jumei Tosho

Ed Hicks

Barry,

Thanks very much for the mei photos. It does provide additional "confirmation" of the mei on my example, at least for me, so very much appreciated. Would love to see pics of the overall blade. Must be lovely. Is it in mounts?

The way he wrote the "4" in Showa 14 had me stumped for a little bit, but that is an interesting way of doing it. What is written after the gatsu?

Its a small thing, but one "element" which I had hoped for on my gassan was his kao (aside from ayasugi grain of course). But thanks to this thread, I understand that there is actually a trade off between the kao and the rikugun star stamp. Very neat stuff.

Saying that Ayasugi hada in Swords by Gasan Sadakatsu are typical, is not right. Most swords made by Sadakatsu (the ones I have seen), are made in Bizen Den. The point I'm making is, don't expect a sword by Sadakatsu to have Ayasugi hada and dismiss one in Bizen Den to be a likely Gimei.

Saying that Ayasugi hada in Swords by Gasan Sadakatsu are typical, is not right. Most swords made by Sadakatsu (the ones I have seen), are made in Bizen Den. The point I'm making is, don't expect a sword by Sadakatsu to have Ayasugi hada and dismiss one in Bizen Den to be a likely Gimei.

Not sure what this is referring to, :dunno: but nothing of the sort was said, at least by me. In previous posts, where I mentioned my conversation with a togishi, I noted that maybe only 25% of his blades were with ayasugi hada. I do wish I had such an example, as it is a gassan "signature" style if you will. Also, the gassan smiths were proficient in many different styles, part of their mystique, so I don't think anyone here was saying that a bizen style or soshu style blade would be kantei point. I just began reading the Nihon to koza, and in the intro, regarding the various word for "school", there is a term for someone who is proficient in a style but not of that particular school, but it escapes me now. The modern gassan smiths were proficient across a wide variety of styles/schools.

As it may appear, I feel like some words are being put into my mouth. If this is so, FYI, I am fully capable of putting my own foot in there, thank-you-very-much! :lipssealed: If I am over reacting, then :bowdown: and :beer: :beer: :beer: .

If this blade came in original gunto koshirae (not refitted) and it is known that it came directly from a vet, then odds are very high it is an original.

Being that it has a star stamp, it was inspected and accepted by the military. Gimei blades were not accepted.

It is probable, as I have said earlier, that it is a daisaku blade. It is even possible it is dai mei as well. This late in his life, it is doubtful Sadakatsu was making many blades, and with several able students, it is very likely more than a few daisaku/daisaku-daimei were produced. In any case, it would still paper as Sadakatsu's work, so while it may be of academic interest, it is still considered Sadakatsu's work....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..