Japan Earthquake

Further to my missplaced re "shelter box"

Any donations from UK & EU members should be made direct to this splendid NGO disaster charity,I would suggest a google on them to see full details of there work....

Hello Supporters

A chance to keep you all in the picture following an extremely busy day, yet very satisfying. I am reporting the latest information below, but also to make you aware that we should receive good TV coverage, we have had five international broadcasting stations at HQ filming throughout the day, we are already on BBC News 24 in the loop and should be on the national BBC 22:00 news. Both Sky and CNN are also involved. News as at 20:00 on Friday 11th March.

Disaster lessons put to the test in Japanese response.

Homes have been washed away, thousands of people are unaccounted for and the death toll from the earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan today continues to rise.

The catastrophic scenes from north-east Japan have shocked the world. Fires have raged out of control, fissures have cracked the land and torrents of water have swept away cars, boats and buildings. The humanitarian response to the disaster began immediately and a three-person ShelterBox Response Team (SRT) is already en route to Japan.

Three of ShelterBoxs most experienced SRT members, Lasse Petersen (AU), Mark Pearson (UK) and John Diksa(FR), are spear-heading the response and will be drawing on all of their skills and experience in delivering emergency disaster relief as they fight to overcome the challenges ahead.

Mark Pearson led ShelterBoxs response to the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004, and the Haiti earthquake and Pakistan floods in 2010. He was in Port au Prince, Haitis capital, less than 36 hours after the January earthquake last year and says the lessons learnt from there will be essential.

When you arrive in a country in the immediate aftermath of a disaster you have to be prepared to operate quickly, effectively and make the right decisions under pressure, he said.

Were there to help, not to add to the burden, so we make sure were completely self-sufficient. Operationally, the Haiti earthquake was one of the toughest tests weve faced and its vital we apply the lessons we learnt there to our response in Japan.

One of the biggest challenges facing us in Japan will be the logistics of reaching the affected are. The north-east of the country is a very remote area and with the infrastructure being either damaged or wiped-out its going to be a real battle to find out where the greatest need lies.

Well be working closely with regional and national authorities as well as other aid agencies operating in the field to ensure there is a coordinated effort to reach the people in most need.

Phenomenal support

The situation in Japan is still unclear and the scale of the disaster continues to unfold. Scientists say the earthquake was 8,000 times stronger than the earthquake that rocked Christchurch, New Zealand, last month. ShelterBox stands by to respond in whatever capacity is required as the extent of destruction and the scale of need becomes clear.

ShelterBox Founder and CEO, Tom Henderson, said: The outpouring of support weve witnessed today from around the globe is phenomenal. Once again our supporters are going the extra mile with their acts of generosity; we cant thank them enough. Our thoughts are with everyone affected during this tragic time and we are ready to help in whatever way were needed.

How to help for folks in the US and especially for the NCJSC gang here on the west coast:

Red Cross

http://www.redcrossbayarea.org

888-443-5722

Send check to the American Red Cross Bay Area Chapter

85 Second St., Eighth Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105

Text the word "RED CROSS" to 90999 to donate $10

Salvation Army

Go to http://www.salvationarmy.usawest.org and desginate donation for Japan Earthquake/tsunami

Call 800-SAL-ARMY amd designate donation for Japan Earthquake/tsunami

By mail, send check marked Japan Earthquake/Tsunami to:

Salvation Army World Service Office, International Relief Fund

PO Box 630728, Baltimore, MD 21263-0728

Text the words "Japan" or "Quake" to 80888 to make a $10 donation.

Global Giving

Go to http://www.globalgiving.org and designate donation for Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund.

Full List:

For a list of organizations providing disaster relief, go to http://www.google.com/tsunami_relief.html

A few weeks ago I ordered some supplies from nihonto supplier Namikawa Heibei. I received my order yesterday, and I sent them an email thanking them and inquiring as to their wellbeing. This was their reply:

Thank you for your concern and for your thoughtful e-mail.

I appreciate your warm word.

I have never experienced so huge earthquake, and was so scared Damage and

destruction of TOHOKU region of Japan are especially awful.

This morning more than 1600 people becomes died of the earthquake and

TSUNAMI.

And more than 20 thousands of people are still missing.

The number of died people is still increasing.

However Namikawa Family are alive and well at least.

Once again thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Best Regards,

Takehiko Namikawa

I probably don't need to say this, but everyone on the board, please keep the people of Japan in your prayers.

Think to people who at the very moment are working on the nuclear site, no more than few minutes at a time due to radiations and that are, knowingly, sacrifying their life for the sake of million.

That is heroism.....:bowdown:

Gentlemen

I was recently watching tgelevision and saw a single camera shot of a Japanes womans face. Only slightly eyes raised skywards and without sound,and a caption crept into my mind as to her thoughts; what with the worlds greatest forceful earthquake killing thousands, immediately followed by a Tsunami killing thousands,immediately followed by the threat of nuclear radiation capable of killing many,immediately followed by a snowstorm with freezing weather all superimposed on shortage of the very means of existence; and the caption "why me,who have I offended"

Sincere thoughts to those in need.

Henry

I clicked on the link that cisco san provided.......... Though aerial shots, muted by distance, cannot portray the human suffering, the destruction is shockingly and graphically evident. The human suffering it must have caused and will continue to cause is all too easily imagined.

I am left with a sense of deep sorrow, loss and helplessness for those overtaken by this disaster.

"I beheld a pale horse and his rider was death, and hell followed him". Not sensationalism, just the line that occured to me as I unveiled the aerial photographs.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

As President of the JCCC Token Kai (Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre Sword club) I wrote to our membership and asked them to raise support funds at their place of work. I also offered a tsuba for a draw. Others stepped up with items for a silent auction at our next meeting. Today the high school I teach at has an impromtu fundraiser and raised over $1100. I think that all of us in the sword loving community should take some action to raise funds. Actions speak louder than words.

I would also add my prayers ....I received this update message from a friend at Sullivans MiddleSchool (US Base) in Yokosuka:

"Just found out that we are in “voluntary evacuation” at this time. No school until further notice. DoDDs teachers are in phase 1 of evacuation and will be flown to Korea starting tonight and tomorrow. Ships with dependents are already leaving the area. I am going home, packing a bag and headed back to base and waiting at Fleet so we can be taken to Narita or Atsugi to be flown to Korea asap. Obama has recommended and approved this evacuation; not mandatory NEO at this point, but could be.

Radiation winds are to be sweeping through here early next week."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..