Yoshichika katana with REALLY Odd Stamp in English!

Ed Hicks

Ed:

Pretty neat, thanks for showing all the stamp - perhaps it should be added to the thread on "stamps". I had seen it in the book as well and it reminded of the trojan helmet stamp on German blades from an arms maker in Solingen if I remember correctly.

I think possibly many folks were not aware that as you had just "acquired" the blade you were in the process of listing it on the "Bay", not that it bothers me but some may possibly be put off, especially if the questions were to increase the value in bidding.

You did note Mr. Hallems comment that it was not real Nihonto and Mr. Bowens that it is oil quenched I gather.

Good luck in the bidding.

• 5 years later...

Thanks for the reply, I think I confused myself and asked the question on the "wrong" thread. Blade I asked about is under consideration for purchase and not in possession. So Kanehisa hot stamped showato and gendaito? Sword has a Seki stamp and is signed Noshu ju Ozawa Kanehisa saku.

Steve,

Long but educational discussion about this here: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/4764-sword-markings/

Answer is still the same - Could be either! In that discussion the claim was made about the Seki stamp that only 1 of 100 Seki stamped blades will be gendaito. Examination is the only way to find out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..