Right balance

I am frustrated. I keep my swords in a gun safe with a pack of dessicants to absorb moisture.

Then a collector said that it would keep the rust away, but suck the moisture out of the shirasaya and make them really tight! I did notice that a couple of my swords in shirasaya took some effort to pull out.

Another collector suggested a BULLFROG (BRAND NAME) RUST BLOCK SHIELD (for guns). It doesn't work like a dessicant; rather, it puts something in the enclosed area to prevent rust from happening (some sort of chemical action).

I'd like to know if any of you have any suggestions. Someone said that if I want the shirasaya to get back to normal, I should store it in an enclosed area with a cup of water to rehydrate itself, but polish and coat the blade with a protective oil when I put it back.

I saw one shirasaya that was lacquered, and this was at a pawn shop. I had never seen a lacquered shirasaya and a collector said you should never lacquer it. Why?

Thank you.

A couple of comments:

First, swords should be stored in a horizontal position. If you keep them vertical as in a gun safe, the oil will run down the blade with the possibility of it pooling in the tip.

Shirasaya will get tight in the dry months. If they are properly made, it isn't a problem. Don't store them with glasses of water. If you live in a very humid climate, like Japan, dessicant is a good idea. I am not familiar with the bullfrog product and wouldn't use it without confirmation from the manufacturer that it will not adversely effect the blade or shirasaya....

Lacquered shirasaya are indeed bad. Lacquer requires a humid environment or it cracks, exactly opposite of what is best for the blade. This is why shirasaya exist- to separate the lacquered koshirae from the blade so they can both be stored in the correct environment. Lacquered shirasaya are rarely seen and when found are usually toys.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..