sarute made of lace

lionel

They are very common, the majority of the gunto I have at the moment have fabric saru-te. Maybe they used fabric because it made less noise when moving about? The metal saru-te do rattle a lot and given the Japanese penchant for night attacks maybe that was the reason?

that makes sense !....When i recieved the sword in question i wondered maybe if the vet had put the fabric on instead ! i was going to put a metal sarute on it but now i will keep the fabric sarute in place just as the Japanese officer intended

I may add that Sarute were a plus for a sword.

The Japanese army officers had to buy an army parade sword and a shin-gunto. It was the regulations at that time.

Navy officers had to buy a Kai-gunto, a navy parade sword and a navy dagger.

Of course during WWII, those regulations were may be less strictly enforced.

But anyway, ordering a sword at that time was a costly affair. Especially for Japanese officers which were not known to win a lot of money.

Every plus, like a gendai blade, thick seppas, pierced guard, nice sarute were kind of costly, so I assume that sarute made of fabric were less expensive that nice iron or copper ones.

The tactical choice to make less noise is also relevant. Moreover, fabric sarute seemed to be more resistant than nice ones which were held by little "nails" (I don't know how to qualify that part in english) of 2mm on each side.

Hope it helps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..