Sea creatures

Henry Wilson

Hi Henry,

my first post on this board. I have seen Squid on a kozuka also. Page 158. of The book Lethal elegance.

As to the why? I often wonder why a particular animal has been left out so to speak. There is such a large body of antiques in existence that no one has seen it all. Each persons experience is a small cross-section of what exists. Usually animals I have written off pop up eventually as Menuki or in other fittings. Menuki have a vast diversity. I would bet that there are some whale Menuki floating around somewhere. Why does one animal become a main stream motif and others remain in obscurity? I think that is influenced by the nuances of old Japanese culture. I am working all the time to increase my cross-section. If I see some whales I'll let you know.

I have admired that whale kozuka on Aoi Art for some time. Not a classic beauty, but I thought it had a mysterious, rare quality to it. I like the squid, ray, shark kozuka as well.

Maybe one reason we don't see a greater variety of animals is the limitations imposed on artisans concerning "acceptable" motifs (i.e. the 12 animals of Chinese zodiac calendar, family crests, other seasonal motifs, etc..).

• 4 weeks later...

check out the book " Lethal Elegance " by Joe Earle of Boston.........

page 158, item #99

A most exquisite kozuka with two dried squids by Otsuki Mitsuoki.

Almost make you say............ to hell with the rusty ole iron.

While you are reading this book, be sure to read the first chapter..........Joe gave some insights as to why some people " prefer " ooooooollllllllddddddddd iron. :badgrin:

milt THE ronin

looks like a squid to me Brian..... especially with the two longer tentacles.... I don't think it is a shark either!!

I agree with Nigel. That looks like a squid to me.

As for the shark, I thought it was a shark at first, but now I think it might be a sturgeon.

chou.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..