Jacob Bronowski "Ascent of Man"

Morning all,

Here's a link to the Nihonto making episode of the 1974 BBC TV series "Ascent of Man" by Jacob Bronowski.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2988346810

While we're on the subject of early BBC TV series showing Nihonto making "Way of the Warrior" with Yoshindo Yoshihara:

Cheers

Malcolm

Malcolm, Oh does that bring back memories. Dr. Bronowski produced what to my mind was one of the finest television series ever made. There was no dumbing down, no gimmicks, just an elegant, intelligent script and fabulous filming. Although I was a simple hick from the sticks at the time, the sword used in the tameshigiri sequence had been mine. I had acquired it many years previously, for the princely sum of £5, from a guy who had been given it for payment for a building job. It had been my special favourite but I finally let it go in exchange for an armour about a month before the filming. Even stranger was just prior to parting with it I had just acquired the blade and scabbard of the shoto. So I exchanged 2/3 of a daisho for an armour I still have. It seems that during the filming the sword belonging to the Japanese gent wouldn't cut the dried wheat straw, and the guy who I had traded the sword to lent it for filming.

Ian Bottomley

To me, after all these years, “The ascent of man” is still the best documentary I have ever seen.

I have read the book that was published afterwards over and over again so now it is thumbed and all the pages are becoming loose.

Jacob Bronowski was such an erudite person who could explain the highlights of human history so clear that I would advise everybody to read the book.

After seeing “The ascent of man” one of the things I had learned was that a Japanese sword was created with a fantastic craftsmanship to become an object that unified crafts and art.

It was then I realised I wanted once to own such a sword.

This led me to a hobby, or perhaps a passion, that I still enjoy almost every day.

Paul

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..