DVD Art of the Japanese Sword

I recently recieved a copy of Art of the Japanese sword, thanks Paul.

This is a high quality effort and an excellent synthesis of the Nihonto crafts, I especially enjoyed the interviews with master craftsmen and the sections on saya and tsuka were the best I've seen.

I can still remember a documentary on the Japanese sword that I watched in my early twenties (BBC and long gone now I fear) that inspired my interest . I believe this film could have exactly that effect on anyone :clap: new to the subject as well as delighting more experienced enthusiasts. Very few of us ever get to see the living crafts of the Japanese sword for ourselves so this is the next best thing.

In short - Highly recommended! :clap:

Hallo,

yesterday I got my DVD and as you can imagine I watched it immediately :)

The DVD is really very well done with very high effort.

Even for me as non English native speaker, the DVD very easy to understand.

I especially enjoyed the interviews with master craftsmen, but even the section with the polisher and the saya maker... are very interesting and impressive.

So, from my point of few I highly recommend this DVD to everybody who is interested into Japanese swords!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well...finally got my copy thanks to Paul, and no thanks to the SA Post office :)

I have to say this is a wonderful production! It has great camerawork, and nice clear subtitles where needed. It covers everything from forging to the related crafts, and provides one of the best introductions to the Japanese Sword I have had the priviledge to view.

This belongs in everyone's sword library. Not just because it is a bargain at $25, and not just because it is an excellent dvd well worth watching...but also because it is our duty to support projects like this one, to support future projects and to ensure that this hobby grows.

If you don't have it yet, why not?

Go to http://www.thejapanesesword.com/ and pay your $29 with shipping, and treat yourself!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Comrades!

This DVD blows the doors off of any documentary previously made on this subject. The investment is well worth it. Here is the review I posted at Amazon...

"The Art Of The Japanese Sword I found both informative and completely memorizing. And quite frankly blew the doors off of the documentary I have seen produced by National Geographic. I found the commentary from the artisans and guildsmen very detailed and informational that was explained in layman's terms that every artist can relate to. I also found these men extremely humble. A honorable trait by far.

For anyone that appreciates culture, history and tradition as well as a western society glimpse into an otherwise previously veiled world this is a MUST see!"

Excellent job Paul.

Ray forgot to mention that his copy was personally delivered by the author. He was probably too "memorized" by the event. ;) :D

Are you saying I was starstruck? :roll:

Regardless what I wrote is true. I really enjoyed it and I think anyone who enjoys documentaries would feel the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched my copy of the Art of the Japanese Sword and thought it was excellent. I thought Paul and all the creative staff and subjects did a great job!

The only thing that could have made it better was if it were available in high-definition!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just found this posting so I apologize for coming to the show late -

I came across another similar dvd: NOVA: Secrets of the Samurai Sword (2008)

and I'm wondering if anyone has seen this video and what their review of it would be?

I've also just ordered the DVD Art of the Japanese Sword and await the experience it has to offer....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..