Gunto help needed.

ehk

A good friend of mine from the U.S. bought this sword for his world war 2 collection. He asked me to help him but I have no knowledge of Gunto's. As a beginner I am devoting my time to learn the basics of Nihonto so I told my friend I would ask here.

Would the locking pin that is clearly missing be repairable? That is of course, if he can find one. And what would this sword be worth in this state? Locking pin is missing and it is not in mint state. I know Gunto's are becoming more and more expensive but I myself have no clue of it's price.

Thanks!

Rick

gunto01.jpg

gunto02.jpg

gunto03.jpg

gunto04.jpg

gunto05.jpg

gunto06.jpg

gunto07.jpg

gunto08.jpg

gunto09.jpg

This sword is known as an NCO (Non-Commissioned Officers) sword. If you look closely, the tsuka is cast and painted aluminium. The numbers stamped on the blade are an assembly number, and matching numbers should be found on the saya koiguchi It appears that your saya is not the original one for the blade. The symbol just past the number on the blade is the arsenal stamp of Koishikawa. The three stamps on the fuchi represent on the left Kokura Arsenal (1929-1945), the center is Koishikawa (Tokyo) Arsenal (1870-1935), and the right is the Four cannonballs for both of the Koishikawa and the Kokura Arsenals.

The blades are plain steel, and not tempered. These blades do not posses value as nihonto since they have none of the qualities. They do however have historical value to some WWII militaria collectors. These swords sell from $100-600 U.S.Dollars at various shows.

As for the locking spring, you can sometimes find them cheap on ebay. Keep your eyes open there, or just make one.

Hope this information helps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..