genuine nakago?

werner

i can see what you mean about the nakago, it does seem a bit strange, but i don't see the upside of adding a tang from a Bungo sword, the Japanese did not think that highly of Bungo blades (do we rememeber Milt ), anyway, look closely at the nakago between the mei and blade, if it seems natural i am sure it is fine, if there is evidence of welding you should see it.

If you welded on a nakago, you'd screw up the hamon at hamachi - steel conducts heat and you're talking about melting steel at the welding site. That's with modern welding techniques. If you were forge-welding it, you'd have to raise both bits to white sparking heat - even more damage to the hamon - and bang it with a hammer. Chances are high in both cases that you'd have to do a bit of file work to get the surface of the weld flat with the surrounding metal. Draw your own conclusions.

Kevin

the Japanese can be quite "set in their ways" and the "traditional thinking" is the Bizen, Soshu, Awataguchi, and other groups are "art swords" and prized and Bungo, Kanabo and some other groups are "utilitarian" or to be used, not appreciated (as much as others). Not to say that is acurate as i have seen some nice Bungo swords.

Great looking Bungo sword, from a very good smith.

Bungo smiths copied the best of all schools. That seems to be the main reason the 'old school' fanatics had their problems with Bungo.

From what I have heard, the samurai liked these blades very much. They would hold up well in real combat.

And, most that I have seen, are very well made, and very good looking.

But, I am very partial to Bungo swords, being the jv, Milt. :badgrin:

You can send it to me if you like. :idea: I will give it a good home, with many of it's brothers.

Thanks for sharing, Mark G

...thanks heaps guys!

Isn't it frustrating that one can have such a lovely hobby and then be limited due to the fact that there is a single lane into the wallet and a 3 lane motorway out of it....just imagine one could spent the money that Elton John spent on art objects over the last 10 years on nihonto....you could employ a full-time nihonto carer and spend your afternoons on the verandah admiring your treasures.....well I guess I'm drifting...

Jock

Hi Mark & Peter,

I received it and it's heaps better than I hoped....and I know now why you love these blades....cutting edge over 50cm wide blade and beefy as with no flaws (small surface scratches in approx 1x1cm at the point that is all) thought you might like some pics...

Jock

post-2261-14196795264365_thumb.jpg

post-2261-14196795267485_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..