Does anyone know what this is???

Don't mean to be contentious but I think this is indeed Japanese. Most likely a late Meiji export piece. The blade looks better than what is usually found in these though....Try to remove the peg and have a look at the nakago as suggested to solve the mystery....

Chris,

I have seen many of the Meiji "tourist" pieces, and had considered that, but what puts me off is the curve of that blade. In most of the Chinese fakes, they have that upswing that is totally wrong. At least most of the Meiji pieces had the blade shape right, but they seldom are short with an exaggerated curve upwards. Also that habaki...bad. The "hamon" could easily be etched on.

We'll know when we see the tang I am sure. It should be fairly easy. Remove the wooden peg, slide the blade out carefully forwards. If too tight, maybe they glued it in.

I would like to see an overall pic of the whole blade too, to see the shape. Can we get a pic of that?

Brian

Then to put this issue to rest, take off the handle and the habaki, and show some pics of the tang.

If this happens to be an Emperor's dagger I'm not even thinking of what your saying. I don't have the expertise. Nor should it be shown this way. Does anyone disagree???

It is not, no matter what it may be, an "emperor's dagger". It is either a later 19th century export item or a Chinese copy from the 20th century. The only way to tell for certain is to remove the peg through the handle and take of the handle to see how the nakago (tang) is finished, and perhaps, signed by the maker. The handle is made to be removed for cleaning of the blade. If you are careful and don't do something dumb, like use a hammer, no harm should come from it....

Dakota-

If you have convinced yourself that this is a rare and expensive "dagger", then I don't see why you posted your question.

You have some of the best and brightest minds in the business and they all agree that this is not a national treasure, and more than likely, not Japanese.

I get the feeling you wanted someone to support your opinion and since you did not get the answer you hoped for, you are sticking with your initial assumptions. I think once the reality hits that you don't have the next missing national treasure, you will then be in a position to start your journey. Until then, enjoy your purchase and I hope it brings you great joy.

Justin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..