Another really rare armor, the kusari dou.

estcrh

Ian, very interesting explanation about an reused kanmuri no ita in this special case. Although, I`m not sure (happy) with the interpretation of the two black lines :doubt:

The lines marking exactly the overlapping area of two scales at each row. If the lines are leather kozane, then they appear to thin in my view. Maybe they are leather strings or bands of what purpose ever :dunno: But even that sounds not really convincing to me. Thus, I had to carry on thinking about it :?

Uwe

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uwe, The black lines indicate that whatever the lines are, they are they are not absorbing the X-rays. Since the scales throughout the rest of the dou are the same density as the kanmuri no ita, and that is riveted and hence metal, the scales must be iron ones. Since there is no metal where the black lines are, and it is a kebiki dou, the only other material that I can think they might be are neri gawa scales. Since the kanmuri no ita is not hinged or divided in any way, the dou is not designed to flex or bend in the region of these lines to put it on. Why then have the gaps in the iron scales - HELP This is an intriguing constructional detail that only X-rays, or a lot of work with a magnet, could reveal.

Ian Bottomley

John, I did once have a dou that had been 'let out' to accommodate a growing waist. It was done by adding a plate to each side of the opening. I deeply regret that at the time, during the 1970's, I decided it was so ugly I removed them. This cannot be the reason here because it would have involved taking the dou apart structurally, adding whatever they are and then re-lacquering and relacing. It would have been just as easy to add a few more scales to each row.

Uwe, Overnight I have been pondering this problem and realised I had not paid attention to your comment about the width of the lines. You are quite right, the two lines are narrower than the apparent width of the iron scales. However, do not forget that the iron scales would alternate with scales made of neri gawa which is why there is no apparent overlap on the X-ray. In reality you have to visualise a leather scale between each iron scale giving a spacing you would actually see about the width of a row of holes.

Ian B

Gents,

The same picture X-ray . I am not sure if I have made this better or worse :doubt: I have tried to enhance some of the missing small plates & polarized it. The 2 black lines look like they are void. Maybe 2 gaps top to bottom :dunno:

Ian, I can now see clearly the bottom row which has been added and also I note the overlap at this section going across the 2 lines. Just my opinion it looks like its in three sections with a small centerpiece which allows flex maybe as Ian, had mentioned before.

Cheer's,

Mark.

post-3209-1419685267028_thumb.jpg

Uwe, Overnight I have been pondering this problem and realised I had not paid attention to your comment about the width of the lines. You are quite right, the two lines are narrower than the apparent width of the iron scales. However, do not forget that the iron scales would alternate with scales made of neri gawa which is why there is no apparent overlap on the X-ray. In reality you have to visualise a leather scale between each iron scale giving a spacing you would actually see about the width of a row of holes.

Ian B

Ian, if I get you right, than is that the reason for the blackish appearance of the scales between the "hole-rows" :?: :!:

Uwe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..