Honjo Masamune Documentary

CuriosG

I shoot documentaries and a friend of mine picqued my interest in the Honjo Masamune. Everything I've read suggests that a Sgt. Coldy Bimore brought back Masamune's greatest work from Japan and any mention of it disappears after that. Does anyone know of any government/private action in contacting Sgt. Bimore or his family? I imagine there must have been. Is there an acknowledged U.S. expert on the Honjo Masamune?

The mythology of Japanese forging balanced against such rigorous application of science and technical expertise is fantastic, but the story of a lost treasure somewhere in the United States (a country with a very young history) only makes the story more compelling.

I appreciate any suggestions or guidance anyone thinks worthwhile.

Thank you

Hi "Curious George" (real first names are required please)

If you are wondering why the odd reaction to the request...it is because the Honjo Masamune has a controversial history online. To get an idea, search this forum for Honjo Masamune and read the past threads. Even more info can be found by searching Swordforums (http://forums.swordforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14) but their database seems to be down at the moment and I hope they will be up soon.

Anyways, this is a subject that is never going to get clarity, and is mired in incorrect assumptions.

Brian

Thanks Brian. I got in touch with the JSSUS, who suggested this forum might be the best place to ask. I've looked over your forums and there seems to be almost no verifiable, current information available on the Honjo Masamune. Part of the fun in making documentaries is finding issues which are complicated and seeing how clearly you can present the story.

The other forum is still unavailable, but thank you for the link. I've looked through the message boards and read some useful background information but haven't found anything on the current state.

This seems to be a touchy issue.

Thanks,

George M

(Just reread the guidelines, my mistake)

My guess is it was probably traded not knowing what he had, ended up on the black market a couple years later and is now sitting in a rich collector's safe somewhere. It will eventually emerge in a couple decades, Much like all stolen cultural property ex. Marquise De Lafayette's saber, Kensington Runestone, maybe even one of the "original" Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi are still out there. Just have to wait until it gets to the right hands.

• Like 1

Goerge, please be *very* careful with anybody claims to be the owner of this blade.

There are morons searching for undeserved advertising and legitimation out there that can fool most of the ones not enough in the field and giving access to the media to them is definitively not what the Nihonto world needs, either the genuine blade is still in existance or not.

My guess is that you'll end up with one of the shortest Nihonto documentary ever,

anyway best whishes and apologizes for the harsh welcome.

George,

The information about Coldy Bimore has been documented for a very long time, as well as many other Occupation Forces personnel that were documented as having received certain famous swords. Albert Yamanaka documented them in his news letters many years ago. Those veterans have been sought out by collectors since that time so that avenue has long since been walked, but your first logical step would be to start there as well.

Military personnel records can be searched by US Citizens under the Freedom of Information Act, but a huge number of service records were lost due to a fire in the archives warehouse back in the early 1970's. To get SGT. Bimore's record, you'd need his service number and a generous helping of luck that his record was not one of those lost.

Best of luck in your pursuit.

• Like 1

Like many others, I read about "Sgt Coldy Bimore" in Saga Magazine in 1965, and even tried to do some research - way back in the pre-net era. Balancing what I did not find against what I was hearing from people who were in Japan at that time, I decided that fiction was the only accurate way of approaching what had appened. My story was called "National Treasure". You might enjoy it.

Peter

P.S. What do you suppose the Sgt's real name was,

Gordon Vimorray, mebbe?

Thank you everyone, all very interesting to read. I actually thought of National Treasure as well when I first read this story. Trying to find the lost treasure of Japan seems like the only treasure hunt you could engage on inside the United States. I'll likely make a few inquiries just to satisfy my own curiousity, and especially thanks for the warning on imposters, but hope one day to see the Honjo Masamune appear on Antiques Roadshow.

Cheers,

George

Speaking of Soshu and the Antique Roadshow, a very interesting blade did surface at the Miami Beach event this past summer and no, they were not able to tell him anything about the sword. It was a 73cm daito, mitsumune, with niju kinmoku hakabi (sukashi mon) and kinzoganmei to Norishige. Fortunately someone at the show was able to put the owner in touch with a friend of mine and I was able to purchase the blade shortly afterwards. A wonderful soshu-den piece, but I'll try not to get overly excited until after shinsa...

• 4 years later...

George,

The information about Coldy Bimore has been documented for a very long time, as well as many other Occupation Forces personnel that were documented as having received certain famous swords. Albert Yamanaka documented them in his news letters many years ago. Those veterans have been sought out by collectors since that time so that avenue has long since been walked, but your first logical step would be to start there as well.

Military personnel records can be searched by US Citizens under the Freedom of Information Act, but a huge number of service records were lost due to a fire in the archives warehouse back in the early 1970's. To get SGT. Bimore's record, you'd need his service number and a generous helping of luck that his record was not one of those lost.

Best of luck in your pursuit.

I know these leads have been traced for years, but I recently came across some information that true researchers need to know.  I know nothing of swords but would like to find the name of one or two researchers who would like to follow a lead that is absolutely authentic.  I am a retired engineer who has no time for frivilous endeavors but I have information that needs to be documented.  The soldier I know  was at the palace the week following the surrender.  What he knows does not need to die with him and he is very old and ill.  He recently sold a treasure that came from the palace so the fact that he was there and was in possession of items taken from the palace is not for debate.  My email is listed in my profile. phil

Phil,

Emails are not visible to members. Please drop me a message and I will take it from there. Note that the Palace had nothing to do with this sword, as it was taken from a regional police station and was no-where near the Palace, but maybe he has info on other items or swords.

Brian

It was also 4 years ago, and Carlo has a long history with the Honjo and this subject. So those who know the background understood exactly what he meant.

Phil, please send me a private message or email to brian at nihontomessageboard .com

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..