Tampa Show Feb. 9-11

I will have a table at the Tampa show as usual. I am bringing a collection of 44 fittings (tsuba, menuki, fuchi kashira kozuka and a kogai) that I am selling for a long time collector. He has priced things to sell. I am considering buying some pieces myself. I will have some of my own fittings and blades as well. Please drop by and just introduce yourself. I put my picture on my posts so you will know what I look like.

Tampa Show Report by Barry Hennick

This Florida Token Kai show was more of a fittings show than a sword show! Fittings were moving very well but swords very slowly, if at all. Perhaps this has to do with the relative cost of blades versus fittings or perhaps this is a reflection of poorer market conditions overall. The Japanese dealers did not come to the show. They usually feed the show with money. By buying some swords they put money into the show so that everyone ends up with money to spend.

As for the educational aspects of the show again there was a little less than usual. The American branch of the NBTHK had four blades for kantei. Michael Hagenbusch ran the kantei session. It was wonderful as usual but was only open to American Branch members. The four blades were an Awataguchi Kunimitsu katana, an Aoe Katana, a Chu Aoe katana and an Omiya nagamaki naoshi. It is great to handle blades of this quality and to learn from Michael Hagenbusch who did this kantei session without previous preparation and notes. His ability to discuss what a person sees and to tell them what he or she should have seen continues to amaze me. Grey Doffin gave a session on sword etiquette early Saturday morning. At 9:00 a.m. attendance is problematic. There was a session on the metal composition of fittings that was given to a select few fitting collectors that I missed (no invite for me ;-) ). There was a display of blades by Gassan Sadakazu, a display of tanto in koshirae and a display of Satsuma blades and fittings – all worth the look.

The food was the usual Florida fair – fried chicken, salad, rice collared greens and peach cobbler. Breakfast was slim with coffee and tea but no bagels or buns.

As for blades – as usual some of the best were not on the floor. Among the best were a Go Yoshihiro and a Tokuju Choji. Among Hizento I saw there was a superb yondai Masahiro katana that must have been a special order piece. I also saw a questionable nidai Masahiro, and a questionable nidai Tadahiro. On my table one could find a shodai Masahiro, Tadakuni and Kunihiro among others.

Sunday afternoon after the show I spent some quality time with friends discussing Nihonto. The topics were wide ranging from the NTHK and their possible reunion (consensus it will not happen) to steel for tsuba being leftovers that the sword smith can not use. Getting together with friends and sharing views, opinions and musings area part of the show that is certainly wonderful. The next show is in Chicago – I hope to see you there.

" It is great to handle blades of this quality and to learn from Michael Hagenbusch who did this kantei session without previous preparation and notes. His ability to discuss what a person sees and to tell them what he or she should have seen continues to amaze me "

Doktor Fautus is a scary dude............. :lol: but freaking brilliant. Now only if he's as good in kodogu !! :badgrin:

milt the ronin

The Tampa show was good, though Chicago Show+Shinsa being only 2 months away seems to have had a number of people opt out in favor of that. Volume over the last few years has been consistent, but then a drop this year. Certain regulars were absent.

There were many good fittings to be seen, but many good swords were kept under the tables and you had to know to ask for them. I've never liked this, but that is the business practice for some. For everyone I know about, there must be one that I do not.

I sold a good number of tsuba. Even mix of sub $500, $1000+, and $2500+ tsuba graduated to new owners.

I had a very scant few blades for sale, most on behalf of a friend. 2 offers of cash+trade for the higher end ones. I was very tempted by a nearby dealer's tanto w/ koshirae. It too had been under the table, and I did not know about it until very late in the show.

All in all, there were some good items around. I came with cash and left with more cash than I intended. One tsuba I wanted was "not for sale, but I'll leave it to you when I die" and my distant 2nd favorite- the very hung over owner changed his mind.

With family obligations in Tampa, I only spent 2/3rds of the time at the show. I would have liked to been able to hang out more, buy and sell more. Just never enough time.

Curran,

"but many good swords were kept under the tables and you had to know to ask for them" ..... These swords are for special buyer with serious of cash or regular buyers have been on the show every years that the dealers recognized.

Of course, the buying or selling already took place on Thursday night in the hotel room with serious of drinking or poker game among the dealers.

Again, you must be in the Gentle member club....... :badgrin: :badgrin:

-No, that would be a mistake- Bad karma

It adds up.

I had a wealthy guest/friend drop in and visit the show on Saturday. Hands on guy who likes to see things before he buys. He could buy anything in the room fairly easy. He didn't see anything that quite fit the bill, and I wasn't going to go forcibly digging under people's tables. So he left with a few thousand worth of various fittings. Pocket stuff to him.

As a hedge fund manager, I deal with more and more of these people as we grow. Nihonto is small potatoes to them. I don't mind the dealers being offish towards me, as I focus more on fittings and rarely buy big, but then why should I bring someone over to them and make introductions?

The karma adds up.

" As a hedge fund manager, I deal with more and more of these people as we grow. Nihonto is small potatoes to them. I don't mind the dealers being offish towards me, as I focus more on fittings and rarely buy big, but then why should I bring someone over to them and make introductions?

"

appreciate if you bring'em over to my table and i promise I'll keep my mouth shut on politica as most of those richie rich are republicans........... :badgrin:

milt the ronin

too many things happening around that time...........my smoking/political debate buddy passed away. kid in London spending his inheritance like a drunken ( true, but only on weekends , according to the guilty one ) sailor ( not yet )......so couldn't make it. :evil:

http://www.esnips.com/web/tsuba?docsPage=22#files

click on owari leaves.jpg

not in for sale folder but willing to unload unto you ( only ) since you mention Owari and a fellow clansman, very good condition, got it from Walberg a few years back.

milt the ronin

Curran,

Well, It is the way it conducts business. As you see, the last day, dealers walk around other tables and trade their stuffs with less cash put in or even trade. This year was slow for Nihonto in Tampa. I guess it will be better in Chicago with alot of buyers. I might make it to Chicago this time.

Milt,

You are getting more softer....I guess the Kid in London must spend a fortune of your wallet.... :lol: :lol: So all your Tsubas must go at any price.... :roll:

Just my two cents here but I believe there's a natural reluctance to put sowrds out on a table top which may be worth in excess of $100,000 to have anyone who comes along ask to handle. How do you say no? It becomes a difficult dance not to offend. A slight accident could well cost many thousands. I really can't blame them for being a bit careful. If you are really interested and able to buy you get introductions and it all opens up. And if you help place the introduction it adds to your panache so where's the hurt in that? Fittings are a bit easier as for the most part it would be difficult to damage one (although easy to rip off) and generally none over $20,000 are out anyway. When one dealer knows you're serious and a player then trust me they all know. I am not a collector of juyo grade Nihonto but I have seen many hands on because I took the time to get to know those who deal in them, keep in contact with them and never became a pest about it. It takes a lot of patience and time but they know who is serious and not and are all pretty decent guys. It's just how it's done.

Peter,

I more than understand- but there are a bunch of smart people in the community. I think we can come up with a more intelligent solution.

At least put out a sign on the table saying: "Juyo Masamune, Juyo Norishige, Toku Hoz. Sadamune available" and let people inquire about it. The dealer can get a name, a card, and a feel for whether this person across the table knows enough sword ettiquette to handle such an item.

Then it is up to the dealer.

You don't want to show me the Yukimitsu tanto... thats fine.

Folks -- please understand (again) that this is just my point of view but it comes from many (too many unfortunately LOL) years in various fields of collecting. When you go to a collectors 'show' it is not a store. It is a group of collectors (if you want to go to a 'Dealers' show then go to the Dai Token Ichi) who gather to be together, compare their collections, finds, stories, and otherwise hob-nob with their fellow wizards. Oh yes -- and sometimes sell something. Part of the game is to become part of the group. No matter which field you are involved in whether it be coins, stamps, guns, Barbie Dolls, whatever, there will always be items 'hidden' from view which are 'revealed' to that 'special' collector as if by magic. It's part of the game. You need to be patient, introduce yourself around, make freinds, connections, whatever and after awhile you will find the doors opening to you. Part of selling something important is to make the buyer feel important also. See those guys over there who asked that guy to sit 'behind' the table with them? Part of the game. He has been accepted into the 'club'. Maybe. These are just social dynamics in process. It's not personal but it can be if you don't want to play the game and want (aka demand) it all placed before you. Trust me, those dealers will pretty much just roll their eyes and whisper 'OK, another jerk', show you the item and then the ice will start forming around your extremities. Fellows, it takes time, so be willing to play by the rules. It can be a lot of fun. It can also be totally frustrating. But either way it's ultimately up to you.

OK -- no charge. Now you can rip me apart. I'm going to Disney World.

Pete,

I am not arguing with what you are saying, as you are right on cue as to how it works. I just don't think it should be that way.

I personally believe this attitude is detrimental to the show as a whole and may contribute to a decrease of attendance at the shows.

Suppose an unknown potential buyer flies in for the show. Suppose he is searching for a rare and valuable sword, which happens to be hidden under your table. He goes home empty handed and you miss a sale.

Suppose he reads later on a sword forum that many swords are not put out on display, but kept hidden away, only for those in the right clique.

Do you think he will waste his money to come again ??

It seems unfair to the public who spend their money and come from all over the world or at least the country to "see" swords. If it was a private collectors show I could understand, but these shows are open to the public.

Personally I feel if it's for sale then put it out where buyers can see it. It is after all a sword "show" not a sword "hide and seek".

If a seller is paranoid regarding the handling of his items, then put them in a glass case.

At the very least put out a visible sign of available items.

This is merely my own personal opinion. ;)

I think it's also important to mention that it is these same guys who run the shows, are board members on the organizations such as the NBTHK-AB, NCJSC, JSSUS, and others, who set up the displays, run the kanteis, give the lectures, bring the high end swords for displays, etc. I need to mention this to give those who are not able to attend these shows but who are reading this a fair idea of the format. I think all kidding aside that often the problem with displaying at table is it is simply too easy to have something damaged. A simple rub on a juyo level sword would require thousands in polishing to restore not to mention the time involved and risk in transit. All said I think it only fair to give a big thanks to all of them for their hard work and huge investment so that those of us not so lucky to be able to afford these wonderful pieces can at least look and learn.

can't put it better than what Pete said................

part of the fun of the sword shows is to trade the bulls........ so many cliques for so many different personality traits ( some down right nasty , my observation only, but of course ). To many, the buying and selling is only a minor part even though we all bitch about how slow it gets but hey, we all come back years after years despite that.

It reminds me of the Bedu of the Empty Quarters, we recognize all the old hands by their " camel tracks ", tell and re-tell all the same old news/jokes over drinks/smokes and having a hell of a time doing just that..........

It takes time to be accepted to the various clans....but at least they don't kill you on sight for trying to join ( unlike the Bedu with their blood feud over some stolen goats as ole Wallinga used to tell me ).

milt the ronin

http://www.esnips.com/web/tsuba?docsPage=21#files

click on owari leaves.jpg

not in for sale folder but willing to unload unto you ( only ) since you mention Owari and a fellow clansman, very good condition, got it from Walberg a few years back.

milt the ronin

I think I found the exact same tsuba in Sotheby's London's Fine Japanese Works of Art sale, 13/14 Nov.1986.

Lot # 485.

It's most likely the same one as it has the same double copper " lining " to the left and a single lining to the right of those holes thingie. Haven't compare the measurement yet but i won't be surprise it's the same.

However it's attributed to Akasaka, not Owari.

milt the ronin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..