odd shaped wak with this mei

jason_mazzy

wakisashi15.jpg

Can I please get a translation and any history on the mei and smith please.

unfortunately the seller looks to have "fixed" the rust problem on the nakago. Though I am hoping to work that as an angle to purchase the blade cheaper. I know a couple polishers who can re patinate the nakago.

Hi Jason

Sorry but I have to agree with Chris and Lee. I look at this nakago and the little bell that goes off in my head when I see a fake rings quite loudly. The signature itself looks to have been done with a burr rather than a chisel, although that may just be the effect of the photography. Have you pics of the entire blade etc?

Thats why I am posting it here. The blade looks like a cutdown naginata and the nakago has obviously been cleaned. It was the shape that intrigued me, but I was not sure because I am getting the "warning this might not be right" feeling. The nakago looks to have had age on it, but been scrubbed down to me. and the one side looks to have had some carving maybe a bohi before it was shortened????? This was an odd one that had my stumped.

wakisashi12.jpg

wakisashi6.jpg

wakisashi1.jpg

wakisashi4.jpg

wakisashi14.jpg

wakisashi13.jpg

Just ask yourself why there is an ana there..way below the whole signature :roll:

The signing is terrible...was the guy drunk? Look at the kanji..do they look flowing and natural?

Jason...you need to slow down, stop trying to buy every cheap fixer-upper, and spend some decent money on better stuff. Yeah, you might have some ok swords, but this hit or miss tactic is going to end you up with an accumulation of mediocre ho-hum blades and no advancement in your knowledge.

Please take this in the helpful spirit it is intended.

Brian

Edit to add: That is a terrible shape for a tanto, and an unnatural one for a waki. There is a silly amount of upturn at the kissaki. Doesn't go together well.

Thank you Brian. I am definately skipping on the majority of blades and I read Japanese books every day on study. This blade is more of a curiosity because of the shape. Looks to have been cut down to me, and someone readded a signature? or a shrine signature? That is why I was asking what the signature said. Maybe an old chinese polearm... but I have not come across this type or shape often.

The only interesting about it is that it hasn't been melted down yet. As others have noted, the shape of the blade, shape and finishing of the nakago, mekugi-ana placement, yasuri-me, and signature are all nothing more than a poor caricature. I can't understand why you are wasting your time with such things.

Surely if you are reading books and studying examples of good swords you should be able to tell that this is nothing more than a bad joke. I think I speak for the majority here when I say that questions are always welcome and that I do not wish to discourage anyone but my god man, you keep posting junk, one blade after another....stop laying down with dogs......

Chris,

no body has really said much about anything other than the nakago, it is why i posted the other pictures. I found the blade shape intersting. And when I looked it up in my books, the closest thing it looked like is a naganita which had been cut down, but some things didnt seem right so i came here to post and check on my own suspicions. The thread was what does this say, not bash on me for posting something I found interesting. Stop being an armchair snob, and snooty with me. I was curious, I apologize if my curiosity offends you in some manner. But you should take a chill pill and relax as my question was what does this mei say. I don't care if you think it should be melted down since it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. The topic is what does this say. Then the follow up was if I would post blade pics which I did. and it all started because I was studying and the blade shape was quite different and I was curious about it.

p.s. curious as to what junk I keep posting?

Jason -

Lets look at your piece another way;

I'll say it is authentic, I'll say it was an actual handmade Japanese sword that was damaged somehow and cut down to make this wakiwhozit in Meiji 2 nen. All good right? now what does that leave you?

1. The blade shape has been altered so drastically we cannot see what it once was, and it does not now exist within any identifiable category. Summation: the value is lost.

2. The hamon for all I can see is now lost, no amount of polishing will bring it back and re-temper would just alter the shape that much more. Summation: the value is lost.

3. The nakago is poorly formed and even more poorly treated. You would have to re-cut the yasuri and re-patinate the metal thus obscuring whatever information is there now so there is only one conclusion. Summation: the value is lost.

4. Curiosity gets you lots of "looks" at a sword show - Bemused, wincing, quizzical, and pitying. None of which pays for beer or gets your name in the newsletter. Summation: the value is lost.

All of us have had to pay our dues, none perhaps so publicly as yourself, save yourself the pain brother!

-t

I don't mean to be snobby and there is nothing wrong with curiosity. I am only asking that you post what is appropriate to this forum, that being Japanese swords. It doesn't matter what the nakago says, it isn't a Japanese sword. There is a saying in Japan that bad swords hurt the eyes, meaning, you can't progress in your appreciation and understanding by wasting time with junk. I think several people have advised you, quite rightly, to learn what a good sword is so you stop wasting time here with things like this. I know it isn't always easy and mistakes are common, but really, spend more time studying known, quality blades, and less time trolling. In the long run, you will be glad you did....

I'm sorry Jason, but Chris is right, and I don't think he was being anything but truthful, although blunt. Sometimes it needs to be said, and we have already discussed many times how blunt is sometimes the way to go.

This is not about what you find interesting..it is about what Nihonto collectors should find interesting. And this isn't it. We don't have long discussions about fakes or relics, and once identified as such, that is it. Finished.

Giving advice isn't snooty or snobbish. The fact that you still persist in debating whether this is interesting or not after it has been identified as junk is the reason people will be blunt. Don't take it the wrong way. Take your time, look at more real swords, and keep studying. Gather with some fellow enthusiasts. I promise you there are always some near you.

As for prior topics..just look at most of the swords you have asked about. None are high end, most are project blades, most are mediocre at best. Hunting for the treasure everyone else missed. Most of us have done that...the sooner you get over that, the better collector you will be.

Art or artifact? Nothing wrong with whichever you choose to collect, but appreciation of the art doesn't come from studying the latter.

End of this topic, no need to debate further.

Brian