Acceptable for now

md02geist

Hello all,

I am brand new and happy to be here.

As I save up my money and gain KNOWLEDGE looking at proper nihonto (speaking with Grey who referred me here, he said that the most important thing I can do before I buy a "real" sword is to LEARN so I am taking that to heart), I was wondering in the meantime what an acceptable, semi-traditional modern day blade to purchase would be?

I have heard that the Hanwei Practical Plus XL is a semi-traditional blade made with more modern techniques and apparently is a good bang for the buck.

Can anyone suggest any more to me? I would like something for display, and possibly some cutting use.

Thank you!

I am not the one to answer your question. I would recommend that a large portiion of your initial sword budget be spent on books, books, and more books. Get connected with a sword club, learn what makes a good sword and handle as many swords as you can. Go to as many sword shows as you can. Read, study and learn. Be patient. Don't be too anxious to buy a sword.

There will be plenty of time for that later.

Very few of the folks that haunt the NMB will be interested in that modern sword that is not samurai in any way other than appearance. Some of us collect modern gendaito blades, a few collect militaria, and most are interested in genuine nihonto from 1870 and earlier. If you are really itching to buy a blade (as my Dad would say, if the money is burning a hole in your pocket), and you already have enough books to keep yourself amused, I suggest that you enlist the help of Grey or another collector that you know and trust and have them help you buy a decent blade on Ebay, at a local gun show or one of the sword shows that take place around the country (e.g. in SF, Chicago, Tampa etc.). I echo what the others said that reading, reading and more reading is the way to go. Good luck with your collecting.

Rob, all "practical katanas" are intended for either iaido training (advanced iaido, as these are shinken [live blades]) or tameshigiri (test cutting). They are NOT, & should never be considered as, Nihonto, which is what this forum discusses. If all you're looking to do is to chop down trees or cut tin cans, this probably isn't the right forum for you....

As others have already mentioned, although you're anxious to get a "real sword" in your hand for the first time, please be patient & go through the familiarization & learning that will pay you off handsomely when you do buy a blade. I don't know where you're located, Rob, but check to see if a Japanese sword society meets anywhere nearby. I learned more in the first meeting than I had in the three years beforehand when I was just reading. And those meetings are likely the best place to buy your first Nihonto, one that you'll be proud to own.

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you all for the advice. I both appreciate modern day and antique blades as well as militaria, so modern day high quality blades have an interest for me.

HOWEVER I am far more interested in true nihonto and am simply anxious as they say "the bug."

Thank you for the welcome and I look forward to learning much here! I am in Richmond Virginia by the way.

It might be a cliche, but doesn't hurt to repeat. Antique nihonto are not meant for cutting, only admiration. Modern swords that are meant for cutting should not be used without training or proper guidance. If you do insist to use a sword untrained, then please search the web for a backyard cutting guide and apply the uttermost caution...

A sword is more dangerous than a riffle, because it is "loaded" and ready to kill anytime.

Rob,

Where do you live? We have members all over the world on this site and many of which that would be willing to help teach you how to observe nihonto and show you blades from there collection. It is very valuable to have a mentor as most of us, myself included, are stuck feeling around in the dark until we find the light. This fumbling is typically very expensive as we buy pieces we think we like and later find out that it isn't what we thought or it winds up not fitting into our collections. I myself started in militaria, buying a Ichihara Nagamitsu, then moved to nihonto mounted in military mounts, and finally settling in on Gendaito. Leaving me to sell off the pieces that don't 'fit' in the collection and taking a loss or two in selling them off.

First let me clarify that I would NEVER use an antique nihinto for chopping things up!

Second while I appreciate the concern, I am ex military, took various martial arts, grew up in the SCA, and have been collecting various blades for 20 years. Right now my collection is mostly busse, swamp rat, and bark river. High end outdoor knives mostly, no true swords to speak of.

I am not saying I am some expert warrior but I am capable and careful enough with blades to know precisely how dangerous they can be. I do however thank you for the cautionary words! But please don't think I'm going to take a 500 year old blade out back and whack trees with it, I did not mean to give that impression.

I'm in Richmond Virginia.

Hello again all,

I want to thank those of you who have come forward to assist me in learning, and to give me good information. Already this has been one of the most welcoming forums I have visited (I have posted on many) and I thank you for your help.

I see that this community is very tightly knit and I am glad!

I have run into some who look down on new collectors, but all-in-all I have found the nihonto community to be a good and supportive one. Plenty to learn out there and given that this is not an inexpensive hobby/addiction, any opportunity to increase your knowledge whether framed in a nice way or not needs to be taken. Good luck to you on your journey!

Hi,

I once bought a Paul Chen Kami katana....the highest range of the Chen katanas.....when I compared it with the lowest grade genuine Japanese katana made around the WW2 time I had to say that it didn't even came close to the quality ....the showa blade was 10x better eventhough it was on the quality side the low range....why paying $1500 for a bad repro if one can buy a good original for half of that price????

Jock

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..