Need Help

Ludolf Richter

Hi,I got a pic of a Wakizashi,which I am probably going to purchase.The problem is that the tang has been shortened obviously a long time ago,so the Go is not longer to be seen.The first 2 Kanji make no sense to me,the 2nd might be a ill chiselled "hira".The first one doesn't match with anyone,I have tried.My hope is that with your help this name might lead me to one or a grop of swordsmiths.Ludolf

post-67-14196792189119_thumb.jpg

Hi Ludolf,

Definitely Naminohira Ju ... You can search my index, on the JSS/US website. Search for Naminohira, which will give you a match for those smiths who signed with Naminohira in their mei. Then you can check those smiths against whichever references you have and maybe you'll find a match.

Grey

Thank you experts for the "Naminohira"!There are a lot of swordsmiths from the Satsuma-Naminohira-School/Group in old Koto-times (Yasu--/Yuki--) with some big names like Yukiyasu.A few minor Shinto/Shinshinto-swordsmiths used that name too,although there was no longer a Naminohira-School.What is strange with this Mei is "ju",followed by a Kanji unlike Yasu or Yuki.The displayed upper part of the 4th Kanji could be from a "Fuji":Fujiwara.Till now I only found Mei with Naminohira,followed by the Go.I intend to look at all of them in the Nihonto Meikan and check your list,Grey.Ludolf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..